Mar 9, 2011, 11:22 AM EDT
Tuesday night in Atlanta, Kobe Bryant passed Moses Malone to move into sixth on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Kobe has shot up the list since October, having this season already passed John Havlicek, Dominique Wilkins, Oscar Robertson, Hakeem Olajuwon and Elvin Hayes.
Next up: Shaq.
You know Kobe is going to savor that one.
But it’s going to take a while. It will be next season before it happens because Shaq is a moving target. A slowly moving target these days, but a moving target none the less as he is still active.
Right now, Kobe has 27,423 points, while Shaq is at 28,590. That’s 1,167 if you don’t want to do the math. At Kobe’s current 25 points a game pace that is 47 games if Shaq doesn’t score ever again. And he will. Someday. When he gets healthy. Which he swears will be soon.
Kobe spews the clichés but doesn’t get too excited about these records. But passing Shaq? That he will enjoy, there is still a real rivalry there, even if Kobe won’t talk about it in public much.
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 0
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 2
- Stan Van Gundy says he will not coach anywhere next season 2
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 0
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 30
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay