Heat fans start “we want Riley” chant during latest loss

Mar 9, 2011, 10:06 AM EDT

Miami Heat Introduce LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade Getty Images

Heat fans have suddenly turned into Lakers fans.

No, they’re not rooting for the Lakers, but they are showing the ridiculous level of impatience, the sense of entitlement, the acting like spoiled children. Apparently this team is not good enough. Maybe those fans would prefer the 47, 43 and 15-win teams of the three previous years.

To be fair to the fans, everyone in Miami is frustrated. The Heat are slumping while running into a lineup of good teams — the white-hot Lakers are next on Thursday — and that has led to some desperate, bad ideas to take hold in South Beach. Tom Haberstroh of ESPN tweeted one on Tuesday during the latest Heat game:

Yep. “We want Riley” chants at AmericanAirlines Arena. Heat down 9 with just under 7 mins left.

The Heat would go on to close that 9-point gap down, but some bad defensive decisions down the stretch — which mirrored bad defensive decisions all night — cost them the game.

How much blame should go to Heat coach Erik Spoelstra and how much goes to the players who seem unwilling to execute his game plans is up for debate. Spoelstra came in demanding the Heat be a defense-first team and their D has been good most of season — is it his fault if they decide to stop executing it? It’s not like he stopped coaching it.

Pat Riley would come in with a certain cache. Heat fans might see him as a cathartic release — Riley would call out his superstars in the media and bash their egos more than Spoelstra. His practices would be harder. He would go old-school on them.

But would that really work with this group? Maybe over a short run, but would these players rebel against it over time?

Riley has said he doesn’t want to return to the bench. The last time Riley coached? It was that 15-win team mentioned above. He is not a cure-all.

Riley may not want to be on the bench in part because he sees the flaws you do with this squad and realizes it is more personnel than coaching. Riley could take over and make the ghost of Red Auerbach his lead assistant and that still wouldn’t make Erick Dampier and Joel Anthony good centers.

But some fans want him. The only way a change is happening is if Micky Arison (the Heat owner) wants him, and that seems highly unlikely. Especially at this point in the season. But keep on chanting Heat fans.

1. purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM

The Miami Heat are truly forming their new mantra as being America’s Whiners. First you have the “Three Premadonna’s” who can’t play nice together in the same samebox, and one of whom is a softie cry-baby, and now you’ve got your whining fans to go along with them too! Miami Heat… America’s “Wimp Team”!

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

DUDE, what is it with you? Does your world revolve around something you clearly hate/dislike so much?

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM

No, my world doesn’t, but yours clearly does! Think of me as being that pebble in the shoe that all Heat homers can’t seem to shake out. I don’t like pompous a_holes, and at the top of that list are: Pat Riley, La Bum James and Kobe Bryant. All three of them think that they can get anything that they want any time that they want it; I don’t see how anyone could look up to such creeps, but then again I’m not one of those typical “blind” fans who so long as a creep is on MY team, it’s ok, either.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I can slightly agree with you. However, I think it’s more in this order than all three of them being whiners.

Whiner: LeBron… we’ve seen him cry in games he lost with the Cavs… YES THERE WAS TEARS ON THE COURT. It’s funny how nobody mentioned his crying then.

Frustrated: Chris Bosh… Cleary him not getting the type of plays ran that would benefit him, such as plays that get him posting up(this would get him double teamed, it would open up someone on the floor and benefit the Heat A LOT) and at the peremiter to drive the ball. He can’t do this with LeBron and Wade… bad fit here Bosh, should of gone to Chicago my friend.

Annoyed: Wade… clearly he is annoyed at playing with LeBron… who doesn’t see this.. if you don’t you are clearly blind! He is regretting this move more and more this season. He may not next season however.

All of the above: Spoelstra… I just think he doesn’t know what to do at this point, he’s got one diva playing for him, and two great players that are being influenced by the diva. He can’t get through to them as we all can see.

Just my opinion of course!

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Solid post! I’m a Bulls fan and frankly everyday us Bulls fans just thank our lucky stars that Carlos Boozer fell into our laps instead of way overrated Chris Bosh! The bottom line is that there’s only one basketball that can be in play at a time in the NBA and Miami has two ball hogs (D-Wade and La Bum), with no distributor (i.e., point guard). Spoelstra couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag; the only reasons that I can think of that Riley hired him are: 1) He’s cheap; and 2) He’s easily put under Pat’s big old dirty thumb!

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM

The Bulls look great this year. I didn’t know how they were going to be adding Boozer (I had a hatred for him as a Nuggets fan due to our rivalry with the Jazz, but I’ve always liked his style). In fact, I hope you guys take the east.

2. hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Also, there’s no way anything good could come of Riles taking the team over at this time. It’s too late in the season. I’d rather them get bounced in the 2nd round this season and then make a run at Doc next year.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Doc is either coaching the Celtics next year or he is going to grow old with his family. Please don’t play ignorant on this. :)

• ohkhan - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM

no, riles will come back…but you’re right, not this year. He’ll do it next year when Spoelstra decides to leave to “spend more time with his family”

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM

LOL! I don’t think though that fuzzy cheeked Spoelstra can leave to “spend more time with his family” though, because I’m not sure that he’s gone through puberty yet (and hence can’t yet have a family!). More likely Spoelstra (sounds like some sort of a new health food cooking oil, doesn’t it? i.e., “I found a healthier cooking oil than Canola… it’s called Spoelstra!), will step down on “Family Leave” to take care of an “aging sick parent”!

3. purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM

A true Master Card moment: $189 for a new Miami Heat jersey; $45/each for nosebleed seats; $25 for arena parking; $10 for a 12 oz. flat Miller Lite draft. Pat Riley not getting the first pick in the 2008 draft, passing on stud Kevin Love and drafting Michael Beasley instead? PRICELESS!!! (LOL!)

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Again, nobody had Love going ahead of Beasley at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Yes and no. The biggest factor overlooked in most sports chat rooms and by columnists is the extreme importance of good scouting. Beasley never has, and likely never will, play good defense. That was perfectly clear during his collegiate days as a player, so why did anyone (and especially Riley), think that it would be any different when he got to the pro level? For the record, Love went 5th overall the same year Beasley went 2nd overall; that’s not exactly being overlooked… the difference is that Minnesota’s scouts were better that year.

4. hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM

________________________________________

I feel bad for you. You’re the Nancy Grace of ProBasketballTalk.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Don’t feel bad for me; just send me money instead! I certainly don’t need YOUR pity, that’s for damn sure! I have no clue who Nancy Grace is (probably some Generation X’er), but it just reaffirms my suspicion that you’re a teenager (i.e., also a Generation X’er), posting on what’s supposed to be an adult forum.

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your honor, I rest my case.

Also, Gen X’ers are either in their 30′s or very close to it. People born in the 70′s and early 80′s are considered Gen X.

Again, I rest my case.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Your post on suggesting Van Gundy was rock solid (and I gave you credit for that); now if you could just stick to the topics on the table instead of starting fights in the sandbox, things would be much better for everyone on this forum. I don’t hate any team, but I do despise most Chicago Cub and University of Michigan football (obnoxious), fans, pompous Pat Riley, La Bum James and rapist Kobe Bryant (considering how many people are in sports, that’s actually a very, very small percentage overall). *** The fact of the matter is, there simply are teams, players and management in sports that many people love nothing better than to see them fall flat on their faces.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Rest your case? My, my are WE full of ourselves today? (more like full of shi_t!). I’m not going to trade pointless barbs though with a half-wit like you… you may see the point in doing so, but I certainly don’t. Why can’t you just admit that the Heat have replaced the New York Yankees as the team that America Loves To Hate most now and be done with it?

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I must live in a different planet then because I don’t hate any team. It’s sports, can’t take this stuff too seriously.

5. gnyj85 - Mar 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Good, bring Pat the Rat back! Him and Lebron on the same floor will make the Knicks/Heat rivalry an all-time great again. Pat the Rat! Pat the Rat!

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

An option I’d like to see them explore over the off season is Jeff Van Gundy just in case Doc does decide to retire or stay with the C’s. Skip Bayless through around Phil Jackson’s name yesterday on LeBatard’s radio show, but I don’t see that ever happening.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Van Gundy would be a VERY GOOD call to replace that hi skool coach the Heat currently have, but I think that Van Gundy is much too independent and established at this point to want any part of being under Riley’s big dirty thumb! I think that being a head coach in the NBA is by far and away the toughest management job in all of sports, simply because you’ve got to try and keep all those big ego’s and guaranteed big money contract guys in check. Ask any Knick fan how that worked our during their lazy Eddie Curry and party boy Jamaal Crawford days!

6. florida727 - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Anybody that thinks Riley would make a difference is delusional. Pro basketball is, and always has been, a PLAYERS game. The coach has so little input, it’s laughable. (Go ahead, start all the Phil Jackson comments now. I’m a Bulls fan. Phil never scored a point for them. Didn’t get any rebounds either.) All you need to know about NBA coaches can be seen in the video SportsCenter showed the other day of the Magic timeout huddle. Literally, NO ONE was listening to Van Gundy or watching what he was drawing on his whiteboard. They just go out and do what they want. If it even remotely resembles what the coach drew up it, “was a brilliant play”. If not, they “saw something else” and just took advantage of “what the defense gave them”.

7. gmsingh - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Changing coaches on the Heat = polishing a turd.

8. tubal22 - Mar 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM

21 comments and I was looking forward to some good insight. Instead we have two weirdos arguing about which one is a generation x’er. Thanks guys.

Riley isn’t coming back. Spoelstra might get fired (undeservedly) but Riley won’t coach.

When you get 3 people who are bigger than the organization, and things go bad, you’re going to have some fallout. Like the coach. Miami is getting exactly what they wanted.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM

“Weirdo” … takes one to know one, you weirdo!

• chargerdillon - Mar 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Your hate of the Heat is pathetic. But really where you sold yourself out is claiming you hate at the top of your list Riley, Lebron, and Kobe.

Do yourself a favor and go watch another sport, clearly you havent noticed Kobe dominanting the league for the last 10 years with Lebron now doing the same thing.

You also clearly dont like coaches who have a history of winning.

I can understand your problem, you’re probably a Clippers fan who doesnt like winners.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I could care less if Kobe is “dominating” or not… he’s still not the “Michael Jordan Gold Standard” (whether you like that or not!). I will give him his due that he’s probably the best pure shooter in the history of the league, but that has nothing to do with his reprehensible behavior in Colorado (when he not only cheated on his spouse, but also forced himself on a very young, troubled kid). Answer me this… “What rings has La Bum James ever won?”. Reily is just a pompous jerk; it has nothing to do with winning. And no, I don’t “hate” all winners (of which La Bum isn’t one); I think that Phil Jackson is THE most prolific coach in the history of the game. Finally, I’ll take good character Derrek Rose in a heartbeat ANYDAY over any of Miami’s “Three Premadonna’s”!

• mannyfresh209 - Mar 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM

You’re talking about the same good character Derrick Rose that cheated on his college exams right? Yeah he’s your ideal role model, I agree.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM

mannyfresh: If you’re naive enough to think that any of the “one and done” collegiate freshmen attend classes or give one happy damn about grades or school, I’ve got some beautiful beachfront property in South Florida I’d like to sell you, but you’ll have to preview it at low tide!

• cortezpjr - Mar 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Dude…. you’re making yourself look like an A__ . Chill already.

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Unfortunately this blog is contaminated with blind hate for the Heat.

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

“Blind Hate” is no different than very naive “Blind Love”. So sorry that you obviously feel jilted just because America doesn’t embrace pompous Pat Riley and his “Three Premadonna’s”. D-Wade last offseason showed his true colors, and he’s a true phony. Bosh is a soft cry-baby. La Bum thinks he’s bigger than the game. What’s to love about any of that?!!!

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Blind hate for the Heat? There isn’t any hatred on this site by the bloggers in question period. Maybe by us commenters.. YES. But Kurt, and the rest of the gang? Nah. They’re just posting criticism that the Heat bring upon themselves. He does this same thing with my Nuggets at time from time as well, then the next week he’ll post good stuff about them. It’s blogging!!!!!!!! Get it straight.

Now the heat….

They don’t have good PR people, leading to the media potraying them… well the way they potray themselves… period.

Why are you so against people hating the Heat? They’re obviously not fans of the Heat… so why should they like them?

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I wasn’t referencing the writing staff at all. Just the general commentators.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Robert, why do you expect us to like the Heat if were not Heat fans??? It’s not blind hate. It’s hate because we don’t root for them. It’s hate because they got three all-stars on there team that went about getting themselves together in the sketchiest way possible.

It’s just the same hate we give the Lakers… the Celtics… and any other contending team that we don’t root for. That is all it is. Get over yourself.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

You missed my post, friend.

9. hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:14 PM

You’d consider Kobe a better pure shooter than Bird? Really?

• purdueman - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Definitely. Kobe can “manufacture” shots that I’ve never seen anyone else make consistently (even Bird and Jordan).

• hnirobert3 - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I’d call that a pure scorer, but whatever.

• mytthor - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM

That’s not a pure shooter. Ray Allen is a pure shooter. Pure scorer (as was already said) is the correct term.

Also, it’s not premadonna, it’s prima donna. And there’s no reason to put it in quotes unless you are quoting someone else or using it ironically. You’re a big fan of the quotation mark.

Also, you have no idea what happened in Colorado (neither do I, or anyone other than 2 people, who probably have their own versions both different from the truth).

And no, gen-x’ers are not teenagers.

Not to quote Charles Barkley, but they’re basketball players, not role models. We need to stop holding Michael Jordan up as the gold standard of people. He was the greatest player ever, probably, but he was a jerk on the court and a gambler and an adulterer off of it. I don’t care, because he’s not a friend of mine, he’s a basketball player. He has never made any claim to the moral high ground, unlike, say, a philandering politician, so I don’t care about that. I care how he plays basketball.

10. savocabol1 - Mar 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM

So you are saying all 100 fans that actually showed up to the game want Riley as their coach?

11. goforthanddie - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Riley put that trainwreck together, it would be poetic to make him coach it. But only if Spo quits on his own-it isn’t his fault he was given an unworkable team.

• savocabol1 - Mar 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Just saw an article on Fox Sports written by Jason Witlock that says it is time for the Heat to fire Spo. What a joke, the Heat have the 6th best record in the NBA (3rd in East) and the Heat fans as well as the media think that isn’t good enough? That right there sums up why so many people hate the Heat.

They have what is perceived as having it all, and it still isn’t good enough. Instead they want us to feel sorry for them (i.e. Crygate).

12. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Damn it, I cried after reading this.

13. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Purdueman is a hard on killer

14. barklikeadog - Mar 9, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Did anyone notice that ‘Heat’ is ‘hate’ misspelled? Weird, huh?

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches