Mar 9, 2011, 12:20 PM EST
Andrew Bogut’s shot has not been right this season. He shot 57.7 percent two years ago, 52 percent last season, then 48.3 percent this season.
It’s all about his elbow, the one that bent in a way god never intended late last season. Bogut is still finishing at the rim at a very good 62.2 percent (was 65.2 percent last season) according to Hoopdata. But from 3 to 9 feet out he is shooting just 39.9 percent, down from 51 percent two seasons ago. His free throw percentage dropped from 62.9 percent last season to 41.6 percent this season.
He can’t fully extend his arm because of that elbow, and it has affected his shot. His touch.
So this summer he is going to get surgery to scope out that elbow and clean up what one would imagine is a lot of scar tissue inside, Bogut told the Journal Sentinel.
“I want to have it straight away just to get a head start on the rehab and get back in the gym,” Bogut said. “I want to shoot the basketball a lot this summer. The more time I can get out on the floor working on my shot, the better.
“Whenever the season ends, hopefully the next day or two after, get it out of the way. Spend a week in Milwaukee and then fly back to Australia.”
A return of the old Bogut (and the previous year’s John Salmons) would go a long way to making the Bucks a playoff team that others want to avoid again.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 3
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)