Mar 8, 2011, 4:53 PM EDT
Nate McMillan has coached his… um, tie off this season.
He came into the season with a healthy Brandon Roy (so we thought) and the big defensive force in the paint named Greg Oden that the team needed. This was a playoff team with some real upside.
But the injury bug that hit some teams has been an injury plague for the Blazers. Like dark ages Europe. No Greg Oden, Brandon Roy has become a shell of himself, Marcus Camby missed time, Joel Pryzbilla was out… look, I could take up the whole Internet listing injuries, but that doesn’t seem fair to everyone else.
And yet, the Blazers are 36-27, your six seed right now in the West.
The Trail Blazers announced they have rewarded McMillan with a two-year extension of his deal, the team announced.
“I’m very excited to have the opportunity to finish what we started,” said McMillan in a released statement. “Portland is home for me now and I greatly appreciate the bond between the fans and this basketball team. It’s a very special place to be and it’s the only place I want to be.”
Good decision. He is a good person to guide the team on the court through a remodeling of the roster after the Roy/Oden era faded before it ever was.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48