Stan Van Gundy defends Dwight Howard, invites fine from Stern

Mar 8, 2011, 2:56 PM EDT

Orlando Magic v Phoenix Suns Getty Images

That’s going to cost Stan Van Gundy.

He probably thinks it’s money well spent. Monday, before Dwight Howard sat out the Magic’s loss due to a suspension for his 16th technical of the season, Magic coach Van Gundy came to Howard’s defense.

Van Gundy went with the argument that has been used for Shaq, Kareem, probably George Mikan back in the day, saying they take a lot more punishment than most players. The Orlando Sentinel gives us the goods.

Citing a statistic he credited to the Elias Sports Bureau, Van Gundy said Howard has been fouled 593 times this season and that none of the opponents who committed those infractions has received a flagrant foul on any of those plays.

“You guys can estimate how many of those were hard hits and how many of those were above the shoulders,” Van Gundy said to reporters after the Magic completed their shootaround.

“And for him to retaliate as few times as he has? By the way, not one of those 593 hits, with so many of those being above the shoulders and hard, not one has been deemed a flagrant foul. Not one. Five hundred and ninety-three. Amazing restraint for those guys to hit him that hard and not go over the line and get a flagrant foul. Getting no protection from the referees, he’s only retaliated from that a handful of times.”

Van Gundy went on and on about beating up people on a treadmill to make his point. He kind of started to lose us there.

He really lost us with this quote, from the Associated Press, where Van Gundy gets in his dig at Stern.

“This is the system David Stern and his minions like it,” Van Gundy said. “So that’s the system you have…I certainly can’t have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot or leaders we’ve seen in this world lately, don’t really tolerate other people’s opinion or free speech or anything. So I’m not really allowed to have an opinion. So it’s up to him.”

“He decides and he likes the system he has.”

Um, okay, you lost me. I’m not Stern’s biggest fan, but to compare him to power hungry Middle Eastern dictators who kill the opposition? That’s too far. David Stern is not Moammar Gadhafi.

That will get your fined. But your point about Howard is taken.

1. frankvzappa - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM

actually David Stern is a member of the CFR (Council on Foreign Relations, never heard of it? i wonder why…), an organization that handpicks and controls every US president…the CFR is far more powerful than the US president, and it is unlikely that Van Gundy doesnt realize this…its about time people from major sports (typically used for pushing pro-war propaganda) start calling out world leaders for enslaving us all under their fascist police state nightmare new world order ideologies…this truth will probably be deleted, but the people are waking up…

• rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

I’am so glad someone has finally proven brave enough to talk about this in public.I applaud you.

• davidly - Mar 9, 2011 at 8:07 AM

You bring up an important point. I hesitate to definitively label the CFR or variously oft-cited orgs as the prime-manipulators of our fate, but it should be clear to anyone paying attention and not in denial that we live in a permanent war state in which all major media outlets – and by extension – professional sports leagues are critical contributors.

Van Gundy is right about free speech. Coaches and players alike should be able to openly criticize officiating without fear of reprisal. But even more importantly: Imagine if a NBA star were to criticize the “war on terror”. I daresay that not only would the press stir up opinion against him, but the majority of posters to sites like these would – unwitting to their lack of informed comment – have a new target to hate.

2. digitalpoo - Mar 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Suspension doesn’t seem like the best solution to me. If a player gets 16 technicals – he’s getting fined thousands and thousands of dollars. It seems to me that if he doesn’t mind paying the money then the league shouldn’t mind dishing the technical when it’s deserved (whether these are deserved techs or not I could care less to get into).
    But when you suspend a player, you’re not only hurting the player – you’re hurting the team, the fans, the rank, the ratings, ect. Seems like a lose lose situation to me. I mean common, does a technical foul really merit any harm to the league?

• rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:59 PM

the opponent also takes a free throw…………..

3. john1447 - Mar 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM

The NBA has the best athletes in pro sports and unfortunately it has the worst officials. There is no consistancy and these idiots determine who will win a game, it’s a shame. Howard gets hammered all the time and gets absolutely no respect from the officials.

4. jstrizzle - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I just don’t get what they are trying to accomplish with the rule. I don’t know that I agree or disagree with it. I think it would be great if they put together a video of all of Dwight Howard’s technical fouls and then we judge whether it deserves a suspension or not because i bet half of them are laughable.

With that said, why do they stop at technicals. Shouldn’t 3 or 4 flagrant 1 fouls be a 2 or 3 game suspension? Or shouldn’t 3 or 4 flagrant 2 fouls be a week suspension? Does this rule already exist? Someone please enlighten me.

5. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM

The problem in the NBA right now is too many white referees, and white men CAN’T play basketball so why do we expect them to make the correct call.

6. bigtrav425 - Mar 8, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Im no Orlando fan but Van Gundy is right on with his comments

7. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM

after i read this I cried, can someone hold me, please

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches