Mar 8, 2011, 11:49 AM EDT
The lack of chemistry with the Heat is evident on the court.
Not just on the end-of-game isolations, but the fact that Dwyane Wade and LeBron James really play next to each other not with each other most of the time. There is not the kind of interaction you see between elite players on other teams (Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen). You don’t feel or see a real bond between them.
The Heat are still figuring out. And it’s hard.
It wasn’t supposed to be. This was expected by many to be a fit that came together quickly, and even if it did take time it would have been figured out by now, 63 games into the season.
Wade is honest about the challenges in a fantastic article about the chemistry between the two stars by our own Ira Winderman here at NBC.
“You know what?” (Wade) says in his typical soft-spoken manner. “I thought it would be easier.”
Winderman brings some interesting insights into the relationship between James and Wade.
LeBron James and Dwyane Wade did not enter this partnership as best friends. Friends? Yes, but more typical of the bond built during promotional appearances, league get-togethers and the occasional two- or three-week tours with a national team. “Friendly” stands closer to the truth…
For James, NBA life, and life in general, is bigger than that. LeBron almost always has his people on the road with him; Wade mostly settles in with the company of teammates, often second- and third-tier talents. He is much more of the everyman in the equation.
Go read the entire article. It will help you understand where the Heat are right now.
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 0
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 19
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 43