Mar 8, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
The last couple of games the Charlotte Bobcat offense has been… how can I put this in a family-friendly way… ugly. Phyllis Diller without plastic surgery ugly. Keanu Reeves doing Shakespeare ugly. No Gerald Wallace anymore and without Stephen Jackson and Tyrus Thomas due to injuries, the Bobcats just had no good way to generate offense.
But that is about to change Wednesday.
Jackson and Thomas are expected to return to the lineup against the Bulls, according tweets from Mike Cranston of the Associated Press. Jackson missed a couple games due to a strained hamstring, Thomas had missed 23 games after knee surgery. Here was what coach Paul Silas said to Cranston:
“It’s a godsend that (Jack) and Tyrus are coming back at the same time because I think we’ll have a chance.”
That would be a chance at making the playoffs. The Bobcats are currently the nine seed in the East, 1.5 games back of the Pacers for the eight and final playoff spot. (They are not catching anyone ahead of that, the Sixers are hot, the Knicks are just better.)
They do have a chance. The Pacers are 3-7 in their last 10 and are fading (especially on offense) after the new coach smell has worn off the team. The Bobcats are 4-6 in their last 10 and having Jackson around to take on the offense the last couple games and that might be higher.
That the Bobcats have a legit shot at the playoffs speaks more to the depth in the East than anything. But that doesn’t matter, if you get an invite to the dance you get an invite (and you can bet Michael Jordan would love that extra revenue from a couple home playoff games.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16