Mar 8, 2011, 1:10 PM EST
Pretty much wherever LeBron James goes, there is a party.
In many cities where the Heat play, there are parties at clubs, ones where LeBron is paid to attend (and his friends end up making some money on the deal, think the show Entourage). But now the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that a deal over parties when James is coming to Atlanta has led to a lawsuit.
Atlanta’s Opera nightclub is suing the Miami Heat player and the Gold Room over an appearance James is scheduled to make later this month.
In a complaint filed Monday in Fulton County Superior Court, Opera accuses James of reneging on a promise to appear for one hour on March 17, for which he was to be paid $25,000. James, who last summer infamously jilted his longtime team the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Heat, will be in town the night before Miami is scheduled to play the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena.
The conflict arose when James’ agent said competing club, the Gold Room, was also pursuing him for a special appearance. The suit claims James’ agent had already taken a $12,000 deposit and a second for $3,000 when he notified Opera on March 4 that James would not appear and would go to the Gold Room appearance instead.
The plantif later told the AJC that the issue is with the ”agent” that is promoting the party, Chubbie Baby. As Matt Moore noted over at CBS Eye On Basketball, our promoter is an Ohio-based rapper, complete with a gun charge arrest required of all rappers.
If I were cynical, I would say that someone set up the deal with Opera then got a better offer from Gold Room and tried to switch. But I’m not going to be cynical, and I’m not going to pretend to know what really went down.
I’ll also let you draw your own broader implications, if you so choose.
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 4
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 7
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)