Mar 8, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
Pretty much wherever LeBron James goes, there is a party.
In many cities where the Heat play, there are parties at clubs, ones where LeBron is paid to attend (and his friends end up making some money on the deal, think the show Entourage). But now the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that a deal over parties when James is coming to Atlanta has led to a lawsuit.
Atlanta’s Opera nightclub is suing the Miami Heat player and the Gold Room over an appearance James is scheduled to make later this month.
In a complaint filed Monday in Fulton County Superior Court, Opera accuses James of reneging on a promise to appear for one hour on March 17, for which he was to be paid $25,000. James, who last summer infamously jilted his longtime team the Cleveland Cavaliers to join the Heat, will be in town the night before Miami is scheduled to play the Atlanta Hawks at Philips Arena.
The conflict arose when James’ agent said competing club, the Gold Room, was also pursuing him for a special appearance. The suit claims James’ agent had already taken a $12,000 deposit and a second for $3,000 when he notified Opera on March 4 that James would not appear and would go to the Gold Room appearance instead.
The plantif later told the AJC that the issue is with the “agent” that is promoting the party, Chubbie Baby. As Matt Moore noted over at CBS Eye On Basketball, our promoter is an Ohio-based rapper, complete with a gun charge arrest required of all rappers.
If I were cynical, I would say that someone set up the deal with Opera then got a better offer from Gold Room and tried to switch. But I’m not going to be cynical, and I’m not going to pretend to know what really went down.
I’ll also let you draw your own broader implications, if you so choose.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27