Mar 7, 2011, 10:08 PM EDT
With a three pointer from straight away in the third quarter Tuesday night, Kevin Love recorded his 51st consecutive double-double (at least 10 points and 10 rebounds). That tied Moses Malone for the all-time record.
Well, all-time modern record (post NBA/ABA merger). Turns out Wilt Chamberlain did it 224 times back in the day. But as he was a freak of nature we’re just going to pretend that didn’t happen.
Love’s feat is impressive, he’s racked up the numbers, but it’s questionable how meaningful it is.
Love’s feat is a testament to him being the league’s best rebounder — he is grabbing 23.7 percent of all rebounds when he is on the floor, the highest percentage in the league this season. Rebounds are about want and Love wants to get the ball.
Love’s feat is a testament to a fundamentally sound offensive game. He can drain the three — as he did to tie Malone’s record — but he has tremendous footwork that can get him buckets around the basket.
It’s a testament to consistency, bringing it every night.
Of course, part of it is Love is on a bad team where he has a lot of chances to shoot, a lot of chances for rebounds that he might not have on a better team.
The double-doubles also have not led to wins — the Wolves are 11-39 during the streak heading into tonight.
It’s not to say this isn’t an impressive accomplishment. It’s to say that there needs to be some perspective because for all he has done Love has a ways to go to make those numbers he racks up more meaningful.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 1
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31