Mar 7, 2011, 10:08 PM EDT
With a three pointer from straight away in the third quarter Tuesday night, Kevin Love recorded his 51st consecutive double-double (at least 10 points and 10 rebounds). That tied Moses Malone for the all-time record.
Well, all-time modern record (post NBA/ABA merger). Turns out Wilt Chamberlain did it 224 times back in the day. But as he was a freak of nature we’re just going to pretend that didn’t happen.
Love’s feat is impressive, he’s racked up the numbers, but it’s questionable how meaningful it is.
Love’s feat is a testament to him being the league’s best rebounder — he is grabbing 23.7 percent of all rebounds when he is on the floor, the highest percentage in the league this season. Rebounds are about want and Love wants to get the ball.
Love’s feat is a testament to a fundamentally sound offensive game. He can drain the three — as he did to tie Malone’s record — but he has tremendous footwork that can get him buckets around the basket.
It’s a testament to consistency, bringing it every night.
Of course, part of it is Love is on a bad team where he has a lot of chances to shoot, a lot of chances for rebounds that he might not have on a better team.
The double-doubles also have not led to wins — the Wolves are 11-39 during the streak heading into tonight.
It’s not to say this isn’t an impressive accomplishment. It’s to say that there needs to be some perspective because for all he has done Love has a ways to go to make those numbers he racks up more meaningful.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85