Kevin Love says there was a lot of recruiting going on All-Star weekend

Mar 7, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT

The Taco Bell Skills Challenge Getty Images

Lest you think that star players trying to recruit others stars was just some isolated little fad, we bring you Kevin Love.

If he doesn’t sign an extension with the Timberwolves (and they plan on offering him a max deal or at least near it), Love could be a restricted free agent in 2012. (Well, at least under the current system, who knows what the rules will be then.) That’s a couple years away and the Wolves could — and almost certainly would — match any offer Love got.

That didn’t stop Love from getting recruited by other players and teams in Los Angeles, he told David Aldridge of NBA.com.

“A lot of it was (about) OKC,” Love said. “A lot of it was a few other teams that just need that one more guy. And a lot of it was circulating around the Lakers, ’cause we were out there as well. There was a lot of pressure and a lot of questions were circulating, and I almost felt like, ‘Damn, I have to take a step back and, not assess the situation, but kind of look at things from a broad horizon.’

“As far as right now, I love the city of Minneapolis. I like Minnesota as a state. I love the people here. Our team is very young. We have a lot of stuff going for us when you look past the win column. I think I just have to look at that come contract time.”

The important thing there — Love is looking at the big picture. Which means he wants to see Minnesota move toward the top of the league or… who knows what? Recruiting players now, until we see what a CBA looks like is kind of moot. If there is franchise tag, you can recruit him all you want the Wolves would maintain all the power.

But know that the recruiting is going on.

1. loungefly74 - Mar 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM

only a handful of NBA players really deserve a max contract. I think Love is an awesome player…but NOT a max player. this makes me think, who has earned a max contract? okay, my list, i might forget a name or two…kobe, james, wade, dirk, derron williams, chris paul, duncan (yes he is old but the guy has proven he is a rock), durant, rose, and howard. there are a lot of guys that deserve big money but not max like Love, melo, amare, etc…
    one guy who plays like a max guy but would never get the money? Rondo…he is a game changer.

anyway, i’m sure Love will get the “love” come contract time.

• hnirobert3 - Mar 7, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Sign of the times. Bosh isn’t a max guy but would’ve gotten one from a number of teams last year…

• loungefly74 - Mar 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM

agree…and hey, i don’t blame the guy. if some team is going to pay you, why not? just like if some company offers me twice my pay for doing the exact same thing…i’m jumping ship.

• bearsbulls34 - Mar 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I think they should do away with max contracts all together. Now whenever a guy is a regular All Star he’s guaranteed a Max Contract. It’s even inflated the value of players that don’t receive Max Contracts, particularly big men. While I’m all for the rights of employees, which professional athletes certainly are, I can never support the idea of Brian Cardinal making $12 mil/year while the best NFL running back might make half that.

• zackd2 - Mar 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Don’t compare different sport salaries, it doesnt work.

• zackd2 - Mar 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM

To be a max contract guy you have to be the #1 option – not a PG that can’t shoot and plays with 3 HOFs

• b7p19 - Mar 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Completely agree, but he’s actually playing with 4 HOFs.

• loungefly74 - Mar 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I said, “one guy who plays like a max guy but would never get the money? Rondo…he is a game changer”

I didnt say Rondo deserves max contract, I said he plays like a max contract guy. I say that because without him, those 4 HoF’s would take a huge step backwards. Other than that, I agree…#1 options should only get max…and Rondo’s shooting needs to improve BUT the guy elevates everyone around him. (I’m saying all this and I am a huge Lakers fan.)

2. primarycloud - Mar 8, 2011 at 7:50 AM

You must be kidding, in a star driven sport like the NBA it’s a given that Love will get more than LOVE.

3. mickdamill - Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I’m willing to bet he will go to a great, winning team without expecting a max contract deal. I’m sure this guy is just ready to win some games and compete at a higher level.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches