Mar 7, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
Lest you think that star players trying to recruit others stars was just some isolated little fad, we bring you Kevin Love.
If he doesn’t sign an extension with the Timberwolves (and they plan on offering him a max deal or at least near it), Love could be a restricted free agent in 2012. (Well, at least under the current system, who knows what the rules will be then.) That’s a couple years away and the Wolves could — and almost certainly would — match any offer Love got.
That didn’t stop Love from getting recruited by other players and teams in Los Angeles, he told David Aldridge of NBA.com.
“A lot of it was (about) OKC,” Love said. “A lot of it was a few other teams that just need that one more guy. And a lot of it was circulating around the Lakers, ’cause we were out there as well. There was a lot of pressure and a lot of questions were circulating, and I almost felt like, ‘Damn, I have to take a step back and, not assess the situation, but kind of look at things from a broad horizon.’
“As far as right now, I love the city of Minneapolis. I like Minnesota as a state. I love the people here. Our team is very young. We have a lot of stuff going for us when you look past the win column. I think I just have to look at that come contract time.”
The important thing there — Love is looking at the big picture. Which means he wants to see Minnesota move toward the top of the league or… who knows what? Recruiting players now, until we see what a CBA looks like is kind of moot. If there is franchise tag, you can recruit him all you want the Wolves would maintain all the power.
But know that the recruiting is going on.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18