Mar 7, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
Lest you think that star players trying to recruit others stars was just some isolated little fad, we bring you Kevin Love.
If he doesn’t sign an extension with the Timberwolves (and they plan on offering him a max deal or at least near it), Love could be a restricted free agent in 2012. (Well, at least under the current system, who knows what the rules will be then.) That’s a couple years away and the Wolves could — and almost certainly would — match any offer Love got.
That didn’t stop Love from getting recruited by other players and teams in Los Angeles, he told David Aldridge of NBA.com.
“A lot of it was (about) OKC,” Love said. “A lot of it was a few other teams that just need that one more guy. And a lot of it was circulating around the Lakers, ’cause we were out there as well. There was a lot of pressure and a lot of questions were circulating, and I almost felt like, ‘Damn, I have to take a step back and, not assess the situation, but kind of look at things from a broad horizon.’
“As far as right now, I love the city of Minneapolis. I like Minnesota as a state. I love the people here. Our team is very young. We have a lot of stuff going for us when you look past the win column. I think I just have to look at that come contract time.”
The important thing there — Love is looking at the big picture. Which means he wants to see Minnesota move toward the top of the league or… who knows what? Recruiting players now, until we see what a CBA looks like is kind of moot. If there is franchise tag, you can recruit him all you want the Wolves would maintain all the power.
But know that the recruiting is going on.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 21
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 35
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 8
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16