Mar 5, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
We told you last night this was coming, today the NBA league office worked on Saturday to make it a reality.
Dwight Howard has been suspended for Monday’s Magic game against the Trail Blazers after picking up his 16th technical foul this season, announced Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President and disciplinarian.
League rules call for a one-game suspension for any player after 16 technical fouls on the season (then one on every other technical foul after it). The Knicks Amar’e Stoudemire is also one away from a game suspension.
Howard picked up number 16 the end of the first half Friday ight in a tussle with Kyle Korver of the Chicago Bulls. Howard and Korver went up for a rebound off an Orlando miss and Korver in the process hit Howard on the top of the head (and was whistled for the foul). Korver took an extra swipe at the ball in Howard’s hands after the play, and Howard threw a little elbow. Referee Ed Malloy stepped right in and immediately gave the technical to Howard.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43