Mar 5, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
We told you last night this was coming, today the NBA league office worked on Saturday to make it a reality.
Dwight Howard has been suspended for Monday’s Magic game against the Trail Blazers after picking up his 16th technical foul this season, announced Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President and disciplinarian.
League rules call for a one-game suspension for any player after 16 technical fouls on the season (then one on every other technical foul after it). The Knicks Amar’e Stoudemire is also one away from a game suspension.
Howard picked up number 16 the end of the first half Friday ight in a tussle with Kyle Korver of the Chicago Bulls. Howard and Korver went up for a rebound off an Orlando miss and Korver in the process hit Howard on the top of the head (and was whistled for the foul). Korver took an extra swipe at the ball in Howard’s hands after the play, and Howard threw a little elbow. Referee Ed Malloy stepped right in and immediately gave the technical to Howard.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 17
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 25
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2