Mar 5, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
We told you last night this was coming, today the NBA league office worked on Saturday to make it a reality.
Dwight Howard has been suspended for Monday’s Magic game against the Trail Blazers after picking up his 16th technical foul this season, announced Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President and disciplinarian.
League rules call for a one-game suspension for any player after 16 technical fouls on the season (then one on every other technical foul after it). The Knicks Amar’e Stoudemire is also one away from a game suspension.
Howard picked up number 16 the end of the first half Friday ight in a tussle with Kyle Korver of the Chicago Bulls. Howard and Korver went up for a rebound off an Orlando miss and Korver in the process hit Howard on the top of the head (and was whistled for the foul). Korver took an extra swipe at the ball in Howard’s hands after the play, and Howard threw a little elbow. Referee Ed Malloy stepped right in and immediately gave the technical to Howard.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17