Mar 5, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
Our man Ira Winderman said it best on twitter: If you can’t beat them, join them.
Carlos Arroyo, cut loose by the Heat last week to make room for Mike Bibby, will now join the Boston Celtics. He has to pass the standard physical, but he is expected to join the team in Milwaukee Sunday, reports the Boston Herald.
Arroyo will step in to the backup point guard role that had been Nate Robinson’s until he was sent to Oklahoma City as part of the Jeff Green/Kendrick Perkins trade. The need was to keep Rajon Rondo’s minutes down, something Doc Rivers told CSN New England’s Jessica Camerato Friday.
“The guy I’ve got to keep down more is Rondo,” Rivers said after Rondo played nearly 42 minute on Friday against the Golden State Warriors. “Even though he’s young, he’s still playing too many minutes the last four or five games. With Delonte out, that’s put a lot of stress on us as well.”
Arroyo gives the Celtics another floor-spreading guy who can knock down the three, he is shooting 43.8 percent this season (and he is shooting 46.3 on spot-up (usually catch-and-shoot) threes, which is what he will get most of in Boston. Arroyo also is a solid shooter inside the arc and can run the pick-and-roll pretty well (not Rondo, but not bad).
Arroyo is not a very good defensive point guard, but he’s an upgrade over Robinson in that department.
Arroyo is steadier than Robinson, he’s not going to have those explosive, unstoppable nights that Robinson had. But he’s not going to have the lows, either. Neither guy’s PER is going to blow your socks off (Robinson 10.3 this season, Arroyo 9.5) but this is pretty much an even trade out.
And you can bet Arroyo will be up for games with the Heat.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 9
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 5
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save