Mar 5, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
Our man Ira Winderman said it best on twitter: If you can’t beat them, join them.
Carlos Arroyo, cut loose by the Heat last week to make room for Mike Bibby, will now join the Boston Celtics. He has to pass the standard physical, but he is expected to join the team in Milwaukee Sunday, reports the Boston Herald.
Arroyo will step in to the backup point guard role that had been Nate Robinson’s until he was sent to Oklahoma City as part of the Jeff Green/Kendrick Perkins trade. The need was to keep Rajon Rondo’s minutes down, something Doc Rivers told CSN New England’s Jessica Camerato Friday.
“The guy I’ve got to keep down more is Rondo,” Rivers said after Rondo played nearly 42 minute on Friday against the Golden State Warriors. “Even though he’s young, he’s still playing too many minutes the last four or five games. With Delonte out, that’s put a lot of stress on us as well.”
Arroyo gives the Celtics another floor-spreading guy who can knock down the three, he is shooting 43.8 percent this season (and he is shooting 46.3 on spot-up (usually catch-and-shoot) threes, which is what he will get most of in Boston. Arroyo also is a solid shooter inside the arc and can run the pick-and-roll pretty well (not Rondo, but not bad).
Arroyo is not a very good defensive point guard, but he’s an upgrade over Robinson in that department.
Arroyo is steadier than Robinson, he’s not going to have those explosive, unstoppable nights that Robinson had. But he’s not going to have the lows, either. Neither guy’s PER is going to blow your socks off (Robinson 10.3 this season, Arroyo 9.5) but this is pretty much an even trade out.
And you can bet Arroyo will be up for games with the Heat.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59