Mar 4, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
Boston picked up Troy Murphy. Miami picked up Mike Bibby. Chicago picked up Rasual Butler.
Three of the four teams considered contenders in the East picked up a veteran for their bench that was bought out at the deadline by another team.
Orlando stood pat. Want to guess what Stan Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel about buyouts?
Van Gundy feels the current rules make it tougher to convince players to sacrifice for the good of a team.
“You spend all this time in your locker room talking about trying to get guys to put aside personal things and ‘it’s all about the team,’ ” Van Gundy said. “And then on March 1st you’re changing the team and sending guys out the door. I think pretty quickly players pick up that you’re sort of full of crap, that they’re not really part of it. And why are they buying in [to the team concept] if you’re just going to jettison ’em? I don’t think it’s good…”
“I don’t like it, but I’m not saying anybody’s wrong, and if there’s somebody out there that would’ve helped us, we would’ve done it, too,” Van Gundy said. “I just think the league needs to look at the whole thing.”
I’m not convinced that the buyout is that big a part of this. A player buys in or doesn’t based on their makeup. A real competitor will fight regardless of the circumstances (Antawn Jamison in Cleveland this season pops to mind). But, you can bet this will come up during the CBA talks, too.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15