Mar 4, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
Boston picked up Troy Murphy. Miami picked up Mike Bibby. Chicago picked up Rasual Butler.
Three of the four teams considered contenders in the East picked up a veteran for their bench that was bought out at the deadline by another team.
Orlando stood pat. Want to guess what Stan Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel about buyouts?
Van Gundy feels the current rules make it tougher to convince players to sacrifice for the good of a team.
“You spend all this time in your locker room talking about trying to get guys to put aside personal things and ‘it’s all about the team,’ ” Van Gundy said. “And then on March 1st you’re changing the team and sending guys out the door. I think pretty quickly players pick up that you’re sort of full of crap, that they’re not really part of it. And why are they buying in [to the team concept] if you’re just going to jettison ‘em? I don’t think it’s good…”
“I don’t like it, but I’m not saying anybody’s wrong, and if there’s somebody out there that would’ve helped us, we would’ve done it, too,” Van Gundy said. “I just think the league needs to look at the whole thing.”
I’m not convinced that the buyout is that big a part of this. A player buys in or doesn’t based on their makeup. A real competitor will fight regardless of the circumstances (Antawn Jamison in Cleveland this season pops to mind). But, you can bet this will come up during the CBA talks, too.
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 5
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 10
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 37
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27
- Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard have little dust up; Kobe calls Howard “soft” (VIDEO) 61