Mar 4, 2011, 2:09 PM EST
Boston picked up Troy Murphy. Miami picked up Mike Bibby. Chicago picked up Rasual Butler.
Three of the four teams considered contenders in the East picked up a veteran for their bench that was bought out at the deadline by another team.
Orlando stood pat. Want to guess what Stan Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel about buyouts?
Van Gundy feels the current rules make it tougher to convince players to sacrifice for the good of a team.
“You spend all this time in your locker room talking about trying to get guys to put aside personal things and ‘it’s all about the team,’ ” Van Gundy said. “And then on March 1st you’re changing the team and sending guys out the door. I think pretty quickly players pick up that you’re sort of full of crap, that they’re not really part of it. And why are they buying in [to the team concept] if you’re just going to jettison ‘em? I don’t think it’s good…”
“I don’t like it, but I’m not saying anybody’s wrong, and if there’s somebody out there that would’ve helped us, we would’ve done it, too,” Van Gundy said. “I just think the league needs to look at the whole thing.”
I’m not convinced that the buyout is that big a part of this. A player buys in or doesn’t based on their makeup. A real competitor will fight regardless of the circumstances (Antawn Jamison in Cleveland this season pops to mind). But, you can bet this will come up during the CBA talks, too.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 2
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 27
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)