Mar 4, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
You don’t have to like it — we don’t — but it looks more and more like the Sacramento Kings may be on the move to Anaheim. And with that would come a lot of questions. For example:
What do we call them?
There is already a Kings in the greater Los Angeles market, been there since 1967. And while those Kings play in the NHL and have never won the Stanley Cup — I still blame Marty McSorley and his stick for that — they are established. The NBA Kings would have to change their name.
As Tom Couzens noted at the Sacramento Bee, the last two Kings games they have worn the throw back Royals jerseys, from the franchises’ time in Rochester. Maybe that is a hint as to the team’s thinking.
As they should, the Bee had some fun and got a little snarky with the names.
Or the Maloofs could call their team the Palms. Anaheim has plenty of palm trees, plus imagine the marketing tie-ins with the Maloofs’ casino in Las Vegas.
Don’t like those ideas? Here’s a dandy that’s been bandied about: The Orange County Wave … as in wave them goodbye?
I suppose the Anaheim third wheels is out of the question, too.
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 13
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 23
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 11
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20