Mar 3, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The already quality front line of the Memphis Grizzlies just got deeper.
Leon Powe has signed with the Grizzlies, according to David Aldridge of NBA.com.
Powe played some quality minutes along the front line of the Boston Celtics during their 2008 title run, giving them 11 points and 5 minutes a game during the playoffs. However, injuries set him back the last two seasons. This season he wasn’t contributing to Cleveland and they bought him out.
Memphis is the team in the West that all the top seeds want to avoid in the first round. A key part of that is the Zach Randolph/Marc Gasol front line that is hard to deal with. We’ll see how Powe fits in off the bench, but if he can give Memphis what he gave Boston a couple seasons ago then Memphis just got that much harder to deal with up front. He may not be able to — he wasn’t contributing in Cleveland. But the risk for Memphis is not that great.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47