Mar 3, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The already quality front line of the Memphis Grizzlies just got deeper.
Leon Powe has signed with the Grizzlies, according to David Aldridge of NBA.com.
Powe played some quality minutes along the front line of the Boston Celtics during their 2008 title run, giving them 11 points and 5 minutes a game during the playoffs. However, injuries set him back the last two seasons. This season he wasn’t contributing to Cleveland and they bought him out.
Memphis is the team in the West that all the top seeds want to avoid in the first round. A key part of that is the Zach Randolph/Marc Gasol front line that is hard to deal with. We’ll see how Powe fits in off the bench, but if he can give Memphis what he gave Boston a couple seasons ago then Memphis just got that much harder to deal with up front. He may not be able to — he wasn’t contributing in Cleveland. But the risk for Memphis is not that great.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5