Mar 3, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The already quality front line of the Memphis Grizzlies just got deeper.
Leon Powe has signed with the Grizzlies, according to David Aldridge of NBA.com.
Powe played some quality minutes along the front line of the Boston Celtics during their 2008 title run, giving them 11 points and 5 minutes a game during the playoffs. However, injuries set him back the last two seasons. This season he wasn’t contributing to Cleveland and they bought him out.
Memphis is the team in the West that all the top seeds want to avoid in the first round. A key part of that is the Zach Randolph/Marc Gasol front line that is hard to deal with. We’ll see how Powe fits in off the bench, but if he can give Memphis what he gave Boston a couple seasons ago then Memphis just got that much harder to deal with up front. He may not be able to — he wasn’t contributing in Cleveland. But the risk for Memphis is not that great.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16