Carmelo Anthony’s Dear John letter to Denver fans

Mar 3, 2011, 5:52 PM EDT

Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo Anthony has gone from Denver. Because he forced his way out.

But, you know, he still loves you Denver fans. He really appreciates you.

Sure, he has moved on the next phase of his career. Bright lights and the big city. But he’ll always care about you.

That’s why he left you this goodbye letter on his Web site Thursday (via the Denver Post).

A Note to My Denver fans

I had to let you know how I felt about you, the city, my fans, my friends. You’ve been supportive of me and my NBA career for the past 8 years and that doesn’t go unnoticed.

Drafted when I was 19 I called Denver and the Nuggets my home. The city and the fans embraced me and watched me grow as a man and a player.

There are no words to express the gratitude and appreciation I have for Denver, the Nuggets and all the fans.

You will always be a part of my heart.

One Love,
Melo

I am certain Denver fans will let Anthony know of their feelings toward him next time he is in town. Then again, since they are 4-1 and playing good defense since he left, maybe they will get over him sooner than you think.

1. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Kurt, don’t fool yourself, the Knicks traded quantity for quality. Hey, they turned the light’s back on at the garden.

2. purdueman - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I worked for a Denver based company for almost 11 years and spent WAY too much time there as a result. It’s a somewhat isolated city to live in with a lot of dumb rednecks and cowboy types running around town, hardly the type of place that I’d want to live, much less if I were a wealthy black athlete who enjoys going out at night.

• eyewild - Mar 4, 2011 at 3:34 AM

I love it in Denver. Denver has a good mix of nightlife and relaxation. Denver is not far from Aspen, ‘Oprah’s vacation house’, Vail ‘Kobe’s play house’, Vegas, and nature. Denver works for me and I’m black. Basketball players could always live somewhere else and simply play in Denver. Why not play in Denver and fly to party destinations there is an international airport here. Personally if I had a kids like Melo, I’d have my home in Denver and party somewhere else.

3. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:48 PM

the man played for Denver for seven years and just like LeBron the GM couldn’t put the guy’s a
    he would need around him. Pat Riley, Donnie Walsh, Kupchick and the guy with the Spurs have
    credentials, if i was a star athlete you want the money yes, but also you want to win.

• eyewild - Mar 4, 2011 at 3:12 AM

He had the guys in Denver to do damage. He made the playoffs every year…Denver provided him with a team, maybe not the ‘big three’ because only a few cities can manage that, but he had hard working team players with skills. Billups won in Detroit with hustling players.

• theghostofwillisreed - Mar 4, 2011 at 7:57 AM

i wouldn’t say that.

they got him iverson who was a bad fit. kenyon martin is never healthy. nene is always injury prone. birdman is a role player who was banned from the league for a period of time. jr smith is a headcase. affalo just got there. the only constant there was melo putting up points and carrying the team on his back, he never had someone else there on a consistent basis to help him put the team over the hump.

that, in the western conference, adds up to short stays in the playoffs.

4. redstar504 - Mar 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Call me crazy but I think it is pretty classy.

He did not LeBron Denver he was real with them made a request early and he stayed quiet for the most part. He was patient and allowed Denver to make a trade and get value back for him. He was honest with them from day one and told them he wasn’t likley to re-sign.

In his statment he is simply thanking a city and fans for supourting him while he was there. No big ego trip, no bitterness just a simple thank you, I won’t forget you and good bye. No diffrent than when someone retires except he left to play for his hometown team.

Flip it back to LeBozo. He totally took a dump on the team he left. He played a whole season and lied to them (Cavs), he tanked it in the playoffs on purpose, he lied some more and made them think they had a chance up until the “Decision”. Seriously how scumbag is that you have to not only mess over your soon-to-be-ex-employer but you do it live on national TV.

He didn’t do it like Mellow he lied and left them holding the bag. But here is the kicker unlike Mellow who left a city he had no prior connection with to go home and play Lebozo leaves home (and messes home over) to go play in a city he has no connection with.

What Mellow did wasn’t cool but it is nowhere like what LeBozo did. Lebron is human scum.

Here in New Orleans I have accpted we are going to likley loose Chris Paul. I expect it but I don’t like it. It is everything wrong with the NBA and it really sux but at the end of the day I hope he parts ways with N.O. more like Mellow and less like LeScumbag.

• hnirobert3 - Mar 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Human scum? I think that’s a bit much. In my world, human scum equates to rapists, pedophiles, terrorists… y’know, stuff like that. But an athlete who has never broken the law? Nahhhhhhh… get a grip on life.

• redstar504 - Mar 4, 2011 at 1:39 AM

I would agree with you that was a little harsh let’s say basketball scum because I don’t know him personally he might be a good guy who knows but I will stand by basketball scum

5. vipersinferno - Mar 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Although the NBA is by far the sport of the big 4 where one guy can make the most difference it is still a team game. The Knicks not only gutted their team of depth but gave Denver it’s potential superstar back in Danilo Gallinari. At 6’10 he can shoot like a guard and handles the bar like a point player. He had 30 points and 11 rebounds in his second game for Denver. Although Melo is a great one on one scorer, do not confuse him with LeBron or Kobe New York. He doesn’t make the players around him better. He is a below average passer and terrible team defender (doesn’t rotate, run to shooter, help down low, follow man through screens, etc). But New York is all about glamour while Denver is a hard working blue collar town. So I think in the end both teams got what they wanted. Just don’t expect and titles for the Knickerbockers anytime soon.

• theghostofwillisreed - Mar 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM

slow down on gallinari being a superstar. when he was a knick, people were calling him a bust. he has one good game in denver, he’s back to being dirk 2.0?

i was and still am a gallinari fan as knicks fans truly did sleep on his improving game but let’s chill before we anoint him as being anything more than a player with potential.

• mickdamill - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM

You do remember what Gallo said not to long ago, something along the line of “I’m not a superstar, I don’t know why people are expecting me to be this person”. He had one good game this season, remember every dog has there day.

Denver fans wont miss Melo until this team starts losing games. It’s hard to get a scouting report for a team that has never played together. Call me a fool but I credit these past wins to great coaching not great players.

6. zackd2 - Mar 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM

I’m glad you feel the need to mock Carmelo Kurt – since you know how he feels about the fans.

Next time take away your Knicks-hate and then try to write a post.

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I gave this a thumbs down because it isn’t Knicks hate, its Melo hate. I’ve seen Kurt say more good things about the Nuggets since Melo’s been traded. The whole time this blogs been up when Melo was on the Nuggets he’d always trash the Nuggets.

7. theghostofwillisreed - Mar 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

how much do you want to bet if carmelo went to new jersey or chicago, kurt would be singing a wholly different tune. then again, he wouldn’t get half the hits he would normally get with my knicks hatred.

get a grip, kurt. like someone else posted, he didn’t have to write the letter. in your myopic view, athletes can’t win. if they pull a lebastard, they are public enemy number one. if they write a letter thanking the fans then he’s being disingenuous.

give it a rest already.

8. eyewild - Mar 4, 2011 at 2:56 AM

I live in Denver, I went to Nuggets games and had fun. It was great having a star the caliber of Melo in town. He bought a loft downtown near my old stomping grounds where I used to play basketball. The town treated him good, and he treated the fans good. Saying that, I could tell he didn’t love being in Denver and that’s fine,if his hearts not here this isn’t where he should be. Denver won’t ever cry over Melo leaving…we might boo him just to get him off his game though. Personally I feel Colorado is the best place to be if you want to train to be the best athlete or basketball player, that is why Olympians train in Colorado. I want to see players here who will take advantage of playing a faster game at altitude. Melo slowed the tempo too much, too often. There are football players and basketball players who have made their home here, and have families, and aren’t bothered everyday by the media, if a player wants to run to the lights Denver doesn’t care.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches