Mar 2, 2011, 10:54 PM EST
UPDATE 11:41 pm: Durant left the arena wearing a protective boot on his ankle, but that was primarily for precautionary reasons and he said the injury was not that serious, according Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman.
“Just a little tweak,” he said. “I did it before. Just gotta see how I feel in the morning.”
10:54 pm: Kevin Durant — the NBA’s leading scorer at 28.5 per game and current Golden Boy, in case you forgot — turned his ankle badly Wednesday night, forcing him out of the game against the Pacers. He did not return.
There is no word yet on the severity of the injury, but watch the video, it’s not good. That looks like the kind of ankle sprain that has you missing a few games at first glance.
With 2:44 left in the third quarter Durant tried to drive from the left elbow area and Indiana’s Tyler Hansbrough slid over to cover him. Durant stepped on Hansbrough’s foot and twisted his ankle. He stayed in to shoot his free throws then left the game.
Two trainers had to help Durant to the locker room, but we await word still on the severity of the injury.
Clearly, any lengthy injury to Durant would severely hurt the Thunder as they try to ramp up heading into a playoff stretch drive.
The Thunder were up 21 at the time of the injury and went on to win 113-89.
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 5
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 13
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)