Mar 2, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Everyone knew that Troy Murphy was going to get a buyout and that Mike Bibby was going to do whatever it took to get out of Washington.
But Corey Brewer being bought out by the Knicks was a surprise. He came to the Knicks as part of the Carmelo Anthony deal, we assumed because the Knicks wanted him. And because he seemed a good tryout for the rest of the season. Brewer plays good perimeter defense but struggles to hit the outside shot, and the Knicks told everyone which of those was more important to them when they bought him out.
That defense and Brewer’s athleticism are prized by other teams. Really good teams. Marc Stein at ESPN breaks down the race for Brewer’s services.
Boston is making a strong pitch — this is a team that tried to get him in a trade earlier this season, Stein reports. They wanted some depth at the three and are Doc Rivers is working the phones on this, according to Stein. The San Antonio Spurs also are making a strong push.
If it’s about money, the Dallas Maverick may win out as they still have their full mid-level exception they can offer up. Meaning Dallas can offer $4 million, San Antonio can offer up about $1.5 million in a cap exception, and Boston can offer only a veteran minimum, same with Miami.
Charlotte and New Orleans also are throwing their hats in the ring.
But Dallas can offer money and the chance to contend. That’s got to be a tempting combo.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 5
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 10
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 4
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18