Mar 2, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Everyone knew that Troy Murphy was going to get a buyout and that Mike Bibby was going to do whatever it took to get out of Washington.
But Corey Brewer being bought out by the Knicks was a surprise. He came to the Knicks as part of the Carmelo Anthony deal, we assumed because the Knicks wanted him. And because he seemed a good tryout for the rest of the season. Brewer plays good perimeter defense but struggles to hit the outside shot, and the Knicks told everyone which of those was more important to them when they bought him out.
That defense and Brewer’s athleticism are prized by other teams. Really good teams. Marc Stein at ESPN breaks down the race for Brewer’s services.
Boston is making a strong pitch — this is a team that tried to get him in a trade earlier this season, Stein reports. They wanted some depth at the three and are Doc Rivers is working the phones on this, according to Stein. The San Antonio Spurs also are making a strong push.
If it’s about money, the Dallas Maverick may win out as they still have their full mid-level exception they can offer up. Meaning Dallas can offer $4 million, San Antonio can offer up about $1.5 million in a cap exception, and Boston can offer only a veteran minimum, same with Miami.
Charlotte and New Orleans also are throwing their hats in the ring.
But Dallas can offer money and the chance to contend. That’s got to be a tempting combo.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 21
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 29
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31