Mar 1, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
Early in the season the Wizards needed Al Thornton at the forward spot. Then they traded for Rashard Lewis and Mo Evans. Then Josh Howard returned from injury.
Then Thornton dislocated the middle finger on his shooting hand, he slid totally out of the rotation, and he was not getting back in soon. So Tuesday he and the Wizards agreed to a buyout, the team announced.
It looks like Thornton is headed across the country to the Golden State Warriors, according to Matt Steinmetz at CSN Bay Area.
Thornton was drafted No. 15 by the Clippers and spent his first two years with the team. He is pretty athletic and can get you some points in transition and when he gets to the rim. The problem is he takes a lot of midrange jumpers when he just shouldn’t because he can’t hit them. His defensive rotations are not going to inspire poetry, or big minutes either. That said, there are worse backup threes in the league if you can get him on a minimum deal as the Warriors are about to.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?