Mar 1, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
The Boston Celtics got Troy Murphy and the Miami Heat didn’t.
In the end, that may be the biggest part of the Murphy signing by the Celtics. Boston already had some depth, even though their front line is banged up now. Miami on the other hand really needs a guy who can stretch the floor and get some boards inside. They need another big man more desperately than the Celtics.
But Murphy will get a chance to prove he can be more than that for Boston — and he could get thrown into the mix quickly with Kendrick Perkins in the West, Shaquille O’Neal out at least another week and Jermaine O’Neal another month.
Jessica Camerato over at CSN New England lists a few other things Murphy brings to the table.
Murphy’s size (6-11, 245 pounds) and shooting abilities gives him the rebounding skills of a big man and the long-range game of a guard. Last season he averaged 10.2 rebounds per game while knocking down 128 3-pointers (38.4%) with the Indiana Pacers. Expect Murphy to spread the floor, one of the Celtics biggest weapons, while being a reliable contributor on the glass…
Murphy, 30, has been in the league for nine years. But after appearing in 639 games, he has yet to see the postseason. This could actually be an advantage to the Celtics. Even though Murphy has never battled through the playoffs, he comes to Boston hungry to win.
I’m not sure hunger to win it all again was really a concern in Boston. But fine.
Word of caution Celtics fans — don’t expect too much. Teams don’t buy out productive players. Murphy has battled injuries this season, been sent home from the team and his numbers are well down this season from previous.
The best-case scenario is a P.J. Brown boost — 10 quality veteran minutes a night that gives you some key playoff moments. Maybe that is all Boston needs.
But at least he’s not in Miami.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4