Mar 1, 2011, 4:14 PM EST
The Boston Celtics got Troy Murphy and the Miami Heat didn’t.
In the end, that may be the biggest part of the Murphy signing by the Celtics. Boston already had some depth, even though their front line is banged up now. Miami on the other hand really needs a guy who can stretch the floor and get some boards inside. They need another big man more desperately than the Celtics.
But Murphy will get a chance to prove he can be more than that for Boston — and he could get thrown into the mix quickly with Kendrick Perkins in the West, Shaquille O’Neal out at least another week and Jermaine O’Neal another month.
Jessica Camerato over at CSN New England lists a few other things Murphy brings to the table.
Murphy’s size (6-11, 245 pounds) and shooting abilities gives him the rebounding skills of a big man and the long-range game of a guard. Last season he averaged 10.2 rebounds per game while knocking down 128 3-pointers (38.4%) with the Indiana Pacers. Expect Murphy to spread the floor, one of the Celtics biggest weapons, while being a reliable contributor on the glass…
Murphy, 30, has been in the league for nine years. But after appearing in 639 games, he has yet to see the postseason. This could actually be an advantage to the Celtics. Even though Murphy has never battled through the playoffs, he comes to Boston hungry to win.
I’m not sure hunger to win it all again was really a concern in Boston. But fine.
Word of caution Celtics fans — don’t expect too much. Teams don’t buy out productive players. Murphy has battled injuries this season, been sent home from the team and his numbers are well down this season from previous.
The best-case scenario is a P.J. Brown boost — 10 quality veteran minutes a night that gives you some key playoff moments. Maybe that is all Boston needs.
But at least he’s not in Miami.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)