Mar 1, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT
Just 24 hours ago Boston felt pretty good about getting some more help along their front line in the form of Troy Murphy, the veteran stretch four bought out by the Warriors.
Then Pat Riley and the Heat got involved.
Things are up in the air with a decision expected Tuesday, according to CSN New England’s A. Sherrod Blakely.
“[Murphy's] camp did not believe the Miami Heat were going to create the kind of roster space to bring him aboard, because that would mean they would have to eat a guaranteed contract, which . . . it seemed like they weren’t willing to do,” said Blakely. “But that has changed.
“I think a reason for that is because they’ve played a few games and they’ve realized they really do need [someone] who can space the floor for LeBron James and Chris Bosh and those guys. So Miami is definitely back in play [for Murphy] . . . “
Murphy reportedly spoke to Danny Ainge of the Celtics and Pat Riley of the Heat on Monday night, and may make a decision as early as Tuesday.
Mike Bibby, however, continues to seem headed to the Heat once he clears waivers. That would bring another guy who, like Murphy, can hit the three and spread the floor for Miami. But the Heat already have Eddie House in that role and how much time Bibby would see on the court versus Carlos Arroyo remains to be seen.
But the Heat are searching hard for answers about their depth.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29