Mar 1, 2011, 10:20 AM EDT
Just 24 hours ago Boston felt pretty good about getting some more help along their front line in the form of Troy Murphy, the veteran stretch four bought out by the Warriors.
Then Pat Riley and the Heat got involved.
Things are up in the air with a decision expected Tuesday, according to CSN New England’s A. Sherrod Blakely.
“[Murphy's] camp did not believe the Miami Heat were going to create the kind of roster space to bring him aboard, because that would mean they would have to eat a guaranteed contract, which . . . it seemed like they weren’t willing to do,” said Blakely. “But that has changed.
“I think a reason for that is because they’ve played a few games and they’ve realized they really do need [someone] who can space the floor for LeBron James and Chris Bosh and those guys. So Miami is definitely back in play [for Murphy] . . . “
Murphy reportedly spoke to Danny Ainge of the Celtics and Pat Riley of the Heat on Monday night, and may make a decision as early as Tuesday.
Mike Bibby, however, continues to seem headed to the Heat once he clears waivers. That would bring another guy who, like Murphy, can hit the three and spread the floor for Miami. But the Heat already have Eddie House in that role and how much time Bibby would see on the court versus Carlos Arroyo remains to be seen.
But the Heat are searching hard for answers about their depth.
- Kobe Bryant says elite players like LeBron, himself are underpaid. He’s right. 0
- It’s done: Kevin Love traded to Cavaliers, Andrew Wiggins headed to Minnesota in three-team deal 28
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 30
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16