Mar 1, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
And his new nickname will be “Dropkick.”
So the Notre Dame graduate Irish kid chose Boston. Suppose we should have seen that coming.
Murphy was traded at the deadline by the Nets, where he had not even been around the team in months, to the Warriors at the trade deadline. Golden State then bought out his nearly $12 million contract, making Murphy a free agent once he clears waivers.
At 6’11” Murphy will give Boston a little more size along the front line, something they could use after trading Kendrick Perkins to Oklahoma City. He could get thrown into games quickly as Shaquille O’Neal is expected to be out at least another week and Jermaine O’Neal is expected to be out another month.
Murphy is a classic stretch four that can play inside but is more comfortable out on the perimeter. He is a career 39.1 percent shooter from three. He has been far less impressive this season with the Nets (shooting 17.4 percent) but that is in very few chances while battling injuries. If healthy and able to return to anywhere near form he would be a boost to the Celtics.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13