Mar 1, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
And his new nickname will be “Dropkick.”
So the Notre Dame graduate Irish kid chose Boston. Suppose we should have seen that coming.
Murphy was traded at the deadline by the Nets, where he had not even been around the team in months, to the Warriors at the trade deadline. Golden State then bought out his nearly $12 million contract, making Murphy a free agent once he clears waivers.
At 6’11” Murphy will give Boston a little more size along the front line, something they could use after trading Kendrick Perkins to Oklahoma City. He could get thrown into games quickly as Shaquille O’Neal is expected to be out at least another week and Jermaine O’Neal is expected to be out another month.
Murphy is a classic stretch four that can play inside but is more comfortable out on the perimeter. He is a career 39.1 percent shooter from three. He has been far less impressive this season with the Nets (shooting 17.4 percent) but that is in very few chances while battling injuries. If healthy and able to return to anywhere near form he would be a boost to the Celtics.
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 8
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 34
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 13
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 12