Feb 28, 2011, 9:24 AM EDT
Everyone expected Troy Murphy to be bought out. Sure, rumors floated around about the Warriors keeping him, but that was more negotiating tactic than reality.
The Warriors and Murphy reached a buyout deal Sunday, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England (Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News broke the story). Once he clears waivers Murphy will be a free agent (and he will clear waivers, nobody wants to pick up that contract).
Then he is likely headed to Boston, Blakely said.
While it’s not a done deal that Murphy will be a Celtic, all indications are pointing in that direction…. The only other team that’s currently a serious contender for Murphy, is the Miami Heat. A league source said the New York Knicks might make a last-minute run at him as well…. Miami has 15 players with guaranteed contracts, which means a player has to waived.
The Celtics have roster spots open, which is basically why Semih Erden and Luke Harangody were shipped out at the trade deadline.
Murphy would give the Celtics a classic stretch four, a 6’10” guy who has to be covered at the three-point line. The Celtics need healthy bodies up front with Kendrick Perkins traded (he was injured right now anyway), Shaquille O’Neal out with an Achilles injury the last nine games, Jermaine O’Neal still recovering from knee surgery and probably every Celtic fan over 6’9” having a leg injury too because it’s just been that kind of season. Of course, what really matters is all those players be ready come the playoffs. That’s when they are most needed.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20