Feb 28, 2011, 9:24 AM EDT
Everyone expected Troy Murphy to be bought out. Sure, rumors floated around about the Warriors keeping him, but that was more negotiating tactic than reality.
The Warriors and Murphy reached a buyout deal Sunday, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England (Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News broke the story). Once he clears waivers Murphy will be a free agent (and he will clear waivers, nobody wants to pick up that contract).
Then he is likely headed to Boston, Blakely said.
While it’s not a done deal that Murphy will be a Celtic, all indications are pointing in that direction…. The only other team that’s currently a serious contender for Murphy, is the Miami Heat. A league source said the New York Knicks might make a last-minute run at him as well…. Miami has 15 players with guaranteed contracts, which means a player has to waived.
The Celtics have roster spots open, which is basically why Semih Erden and Luke Harangody were shipped out at the trade deadline.
Murphy would give the Celtics a classic stretch four, a 6’10” guy who has to be covered at the three-point line. The Celtics need healthy bodies up front with Kendrick Perkins traded (he was injured right now anyway), Shaquille O’Neal out with an Achilles injury the last nine games, Jermaine O’Neal still recovering from knee surgery and probably every Celtic fan over 6’9” having a leg injury too because it’s just been that kind of season. Of course, what really matters is all those players be ready come the playoffs. That’s when they are most needed.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11