Feb 28, 2011, 9:24 AM EDT
Everyone expected Troy Murphy to be bought out. Sure, rumors floated around about the Warriors keeping him, but that was more negotiating tactic than reality.
The Warriors and Murphy reached a buyout deal Sunday, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England (Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News broke the story). Once he clears waivers Murphy will be a free agent (and he will clear waivers, nobody wants to pick up that contract).
Then he is likely headed to Boston, Blakely said.
While it’s not a done deal that Murphy will be a Celtic, all indications are pointing in that direction…. The only other team that’s currently a serious contender for Murphy, is the Miami Heat. A league source said the New York Knicks might make a last-minute run at him as well…. Miami has 15 players with guaranteed contracts, which means a player has to waived.
The Celtics have roster spots open, which is basically why Semih Erden and Luke Harangody were shipped out at the trade deadline.
Murphy would give the Celtics a classic stretch four, a 6’10” guy who has to be covered at the three-point line. The Celtics need healthy bodies up front with Kendrick Perkins traded (he was injured right now anyway), Shaquille O’Neal out with an Achilles injury the last nine games, Jermaine O’Neal still recovering from knee surgery and probably every Celtic fan over 6’9” having a leg injury too because it’s just been that kind of season. Of course, what really matters is all those players be ready come the playoffs. That’s when they are most needed.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 15
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 66
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 51
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4