Feb 28, 2011, 3:28 PM EST
How bad are things in Detroit? Follow this link to the video of coach John Kuester getting ejected Friday night. Some players on the bench — ones that skipped practice allegedly protesting the coach — laugh when he gets tossed. The situation is ugly, my friends.
And it is not changing. Team president Joe Dumars released a statement backing Kuester on Monday.
“First of all, John Kuester has my full support as we try to make a push towards the postseason over these last 21 games. We’ve had a long and proud history of being a first class organization that handles its business the right way. We expect everyone that represents the Detroit Pistons to do so in a first class manner and that will continue as we move forward.”
First, the Pistons are not making the playoffs. Not even close. They are 5.5 games back as of Monday and playing 3-7 in their last 10 is not helping them chase anyone down.
Simply put, the players do not like Kuester, and an ongoing feud with Rip Hamilton is at the heart of it all (the two reportedly met and patched up the relationship over the weekend). But with the team in the middle of an ownership sale (to Tom Gores) nothing is going to change.
Then this summer, with the new owner in place, look for a housecleaning. Until then, Kuester is the man. And the players keep laughing.
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 8
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 12
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 9
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 16