Feb 28, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
How bad are things in Detroit? Follow this link to the video of coach John Kuester getting ejected Friday night. Some players on the bench — ones that skipped practice allegedly protesting the coach — laugh when he gets tossed. The situation is ugly, my friends.
And it is not changing. Team president Joe Dumars released a statement backing Kuester on Monday.
“First of all, John Kuester has my full support as we try to make a push towards the postseason over these last 21 games. We’ve had a long and proud history of being a first class organization that handles its business the right way. We expect everyone that represents the Detroit Pistons to do so in a first class manner and that will continue as we move forward.”
First, the Pistons are not making the playoffs. Not even close. They are 5.5 games back as of Monday and playing 3-7 in their last 10 is not helping them chase anyone down.
Simply put, the players do not like Kuester, and an ongoing feud with Rip Hamilton is at the heart of it all (the two reportedly met and patched up the relationship over the weekend). But with the team in the middle of an ownership sale (to Tom Gores) nothing is going to change.
Then this summer, with the new owner in place, look for a housecleaning. Until then, Kuester is the man. And the players keep laughing.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23