Feb 28, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
According to Marc Stein of ESPN.com, the New York Knicks have reached a buyout agreement with swingman Corey Brewer. According to Stein, the Celtics, the Spurs, the Thunder, and the Mavericks are “among the teams with the most interest in Brewer.”
The 24-year old Brewer is known for his height, length, versatility, and defensive acumen, but has never been able to score efficiently in the NBA. Brewer is a good athlete who can finish at the rim, but he is a very poor jump shooter who settles for too many outside shots. Brewer is currently shooting 38.4% from the field, and his True Shooting percentage is an abysmal 47.1%.
Brewer played 1,362 minutes for the Timberwolves this season, which was the 6th-most minutes of any player on the team. The Knicks, however, apparently feel that Jared Jeffries is a better fit in Mike D’Antoni’s system, and obviously did not think Brewer could help their team in any significant way. Brewer has been something of a bust up to this point in his career, but he still has the tools to be an effective role player in this league.
Clearly, some of the best teams in the league believe that Brewer’s defensive ability and energy more than make up for his questionable shot selection and broken jumper. He may end up providing some key spot minutes in this year’s playoffs, or he may end up waving a towel while his team tries to win a championship.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 0
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28