Feb 28, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
Lots of talk about the Miami Heat picking up another aging veteran on a minimum salary. Because they don’t have enough of those.
But Troy Murphy and Mike Bibby are out on the markets due to buyouts and both are looking at the Heat as an option. Most likely it appears Bibby is South Beach bound while Murphy may be headed to Boston, although things could well change over the next 48 to 72 hours.
Boston can welcome Murphy in with welcome arms, they have the roster spots.
Miami has 15 guys under contract however, so for them to bring in Bibby or anyone else means cutting someone loose. Ira Winderman had thoughts about that over at the Sun Sentinel.
The Heat is at the 15-player roster limit, meaning one player would have to be released for each player added. Those most at risk at the end of the roster are forward Juwan Howard and centers Jamaal Magloire and Dexter Pittman.
Pittman is a rookie who has spent part of the season in the D-League and has also battled injuries. Howard and Magloire are veteran big men who can’t work their way into the rotation. Take your pick on who gets set free.
Bibby isn’t going to get a lot of run either, but he can bring some three-point shooting that the Heat can use.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 5
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 21
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 21
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 7
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64