Feb 28, 2011, 4:49 PM EDT
Lots of talk about the Miami Heat picking up another aging veteran on a minimum salary. Because they don’t have enough of those.
But Troy Murphy and Mike Bibby are out on the markets due to buyouts and both are looking at the Heat as an option. Most likely it appears Bibby is South Beach bound while Murphy may be headed to Boston, although things could well change over the next 48 to 72 hours.
Boston can welcome Murphy in with welcome arms, they have the roster spots.
Miami has 15 guys under contract however, so for them to bring in Bibby or anyone else means cutting someone loose. Ira Winderman had thoughts about that over at the Sun Sentinel.
The Heat is at the 15-player roster limit, meaning one player would have to be released for each player added. Those most at risk at the end of the roster are forward Juwan Howard and centers Jamaal Magloire and Dexter Pittman.
Pittman is a rookie who has spent part of the season in the D-League and has also battled injuries. Howard and Magloire are veteran big men who can’t work their way into the rotation. Take your pick on who gets set free.
Bibby isn’t going to get a lot of run either, but he can bring some three-point shooting that the Heat can use.
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 4
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8