Feb 28, 2011, 4:49 PM EST
Lots of talk about the Miami Heat picking up another aging veteran on a minimum salary. Because they don’t have enough of those.
But Troy Murphy and Mike Bibby are out on the markets due to buyouts and both are looking at the Heat as an option. Most likely it appears Bibby is South Beach bound while Murphy may be headed to Boston, although things could well change over the next 48 to 72 hours.
Boston can welcome Murphy in with welcome arms, they have the roster spots.
Miami has 15 guys under contract however, so for them to bring in Bibby or anyone else means cutting someone loose. Ira Winderman had thoughts about that over at the Sun Sentinel.
The Heat is at the 15-player roster limit, meaning one player would have to be released for each player added. Those most at risk at the end of the roster are forward Juwan Howard and centers Jamaal Magloire and Dexter Pittman.
Pittman is a rookie who has spent part of the season in the D-League and has also battled injuries. Howard and Magloire are veteran big men who can’t work their way into the rotation. Take your pick on who gets set free.
Bibby isn’t going to get a lot of run either, but he can bring some three-point shooting that the Heat can use.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 1
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 23
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)