Feb 28, 2011, 12:09 PM EDT
Utah watched the Carmelo Anthony circus unfold, they heard their star point guard Deron Williams talk about waiting to see about signing an extension, they realized that an extended lockout next season could mean little chance to move him.
So they shocked the world and sent to New Jersey.
Chris Paul could be a free agent at the same time as Williams. There are plenty of rumblings about him wanting out of town, specifically to go to New York. But New Orleans wisely has chosen to see what the new collective bargaining agreement looks like before shipping their best player and face of the franchise out of town, according to the Times-Picayune. You know, get all the facts before making any franchise-altering moves.
“I think with Chris, until there is a new agreement with the players association, I think it’s difficult to say what’s going to tactically work,’’ (Hornets GM Hugh) Weber said. “It may be a totally different landscape.’’
The Hornets cannot begin extension discussions with Paul’s representatives until this summer, Weber said. However, if a lockout occurs, no discussions can start until a labor agreement is reached.
Not if, when a lockout occurs. It is happening. Whenever that ends the Hornets will offer Paul a max deal, it’s just not known what a max deal will look like. Maybe there will be a franchise tag that allows the Hornets to hold on to Paul for another year. Maybe a million things.
So rather than move now, the Hornets are going to ride it out and see what the landscape looks like next fall. Then make their move.
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 1
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 34
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17