Feb 28, 2011, 12:09 PM EDT
Utah watched the Carmelo Anthony circus unfold, they heard their star point guard Deron Williams talk about waiting to see about signing an extension, they realized that an extended lockout next season could mean little chance to move him.
So they shocked the world and sent to New Jersey.
Chris Paul could be a free agent at the same time as Williams. There are plenty of rumblings about him wanting out of town, specifically to go to New York. But New Orleans wisely has chosen to see what the new collective bargaining agreement looks like before shipping their best player and face of the franchise out of town, according to the Times-Picayune. You know, get all the facts before making any franchise-altering moves.
“I think with Chris, until there is a new agreement with the players association, I think it’s difficult to say what’s going to tactically work,’’ (Hornets GM Hugh) Weber said. “It may be a totally different landscape.’’
The Hornets cannot begin extension discussions with Paul’s representatives until this summer, Weber said. However, if a lockout occurs, no discussions can start until a labor agreement is reached.
Not if, when a lockout occurs. It is happening. Whenever that ends the Hornets will offer Paul a max deal, it’s just not known what a max deal will look like. Maybe there will be a franchise tag that allows the Hornets to hold on to Paul for another year. Maybe a million things.
So rather than move now, the Hornets are going to ride it out and see what the landscape looks like next fall. Then make their move.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4