Feb 28, 2011, 2:58 PM EST
There is a newfound hope in Clippers Nation. Blake Griffin’s skill and motor have changed the culture of that team. Eric Gordon can ball and is a perfect complement. There is a young core, draft picks coming (two first rounders in 2012) and a manageable cap right now.
And yet, they are the Clippers. Doing Clipper things.
Like celebrating Black History Month on March 2. After Black History Month has ended (it’s February). You can see the ad to the right. (Hat tip to Deadspin).
Yes, the Clippers were on the road a lot in February. Yes, underprivileged youth are helped (although as Deadspin points out, if children just show up and go to a table to get tickets as proposed, how do you know their economic status?). I get that. It’s still an embarrassment to do it in March when there were February home dates.
You know why things like this happen, why this whole Clipper success could fall apart? Because they have the worst owner in sports. A man who has been sued for prejudicial rental procedures in the numerous apartment buildings he owns (a lawsuit he didn’t fight with nearly the vigor he did trying to keep Mike Dunleavy from his guaranteed money after firing the former coach and GM). This is the same owner that heckled Baron Davis courtside. The guy who parades his friends through the Clippers locker rooms at points saying some horrid things. And frankly, the public stuff is the tip of an iceberg of stories that have not yet seen the light of day.
I want to think that the Clippers are a team on the rise. That this franchise is turning the corner and becoming exciting and relevant and will be for years to come. But history tells a very different story. These are the Clippers. And as long as they keep doing Clippers things I’ll keep expecting the wheels to fall off sooner or later.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 4
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8