Feb 27, 2011, 10:15 PM EDT
Rasual Butler is the first, but you are going to see a rush of these stories in the next few days, followed up with speculation about where they will land.
Now is when teams try to negotiate buyouts of contracts for veterans that the team is not going to play. The player takes a little less than full value to get out of the deal, that frees him up to sign up with a contender where he might get some run.
These have to happen by March 1 or the players cannot be on a playoff roster.
The veteran swingman has a lot interest — Boston still wants depth at the three, Chicago is in according to CSN Chicago, plus there is New York, New Jersey, Atlanta and Oklahoma City all have interest. Someone close to Butler told Spears he was going to consider his options.
The big name expected to be bought out is Troy Murphy, the stretch four currently with Golden State. Also Rip Hamilton could be bought out, although good luck figuring out what is going on in Detroit. Other potential buyouts of interest are Mike Bibby (Washington), T.J. Ford (Indiana), Jason Kapono (Philadelphia), Mo Peterson (Charlotte) and maybe Dan Gadzuric (New Jersey).
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70