Feb 27, 2011, 10:15 PM EDT
Rasual Butler is the first, but you are going to see a rush of these stories in the next few days, followed up with speculation about where they will land.
Now is when teams try to negotiate buyouts of contracts for veterans that the team is not going to play. The player takes a little less than full value to get out of the deal, that frees him up to sign up with a contender where he might get some run.
These have to happen by March 1 or the players cannot be on a playoff roster.
The veteran swingman has a lot interest — Boston still wants depth at the three, Chicago is in according to CSN Chicago, plus there is New York, New Jersey, Atlanta and Oklahoma City all have interest. Someone close to Butler told Spears he was going to consider his options.
The big name expected to be bought out is Troy Murphy, the stretch four currently with Golden State. Also Rip Hamilton could be bought out, although good luck figuring out what is going on in Detroit. Other potential buyouts of interest are Mike Bibby (Washington), T.J. Ford (Indiana), Jason Kapono (Philadelphia), Mo Peterson (Charlotte) and maybe Dan Gadzuric (New Jersey).
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 44
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31