Feb 26, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Kendrick Perkins is going to join the Thunder and make the team a significantly tougher opponent defensively… eventually. Until then, well, not so much. OKBlitz.com reports today that Perkins will miss 2-3 weeks with a MCL sprain in his knee.
Which is exactly what you want to hear about the guy you just traded two starters for who returned from an ACL injury just weeks ago. Perkins suffered the sprain against the Warriors Tuesday before being traded Thursday, left the court gingerly, then missed the rest of the game. But he obviously cleared the trade physicals, so the Thunder staff likely isn’t worried, it’s just not what you want to hear from the new starter, especially when you play the Lakers on Sunday.
The other question is where Nate Robinson will fit in on this team. Eric Maynor is still the backup point guard, presumably, though Robinson definitely fits in with the culture of the team in OKC with the laughing and joking. Robinson might work in spots as a two-guard even with his size, should the Thunder go into super-small ball.
For Perkins, it’ll leave him just a little under a month to get used to his new teammates before the playoffs start. But then, he usually comes back from injury sooner rather than later. We’ll see if his intensity is the same in Oklahoma City as it was in Boston.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 23
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 22
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48