Feb 26, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Kendrick Perkins is going to join the Thunder and make the team a significantly tougher opponent defensively… eventually. Until then, well, not so much. OKBlitz.com reports today that Perkins will miss 2-3 weeks with a MCL sprain in his knee.
Which is exactly what you want to hear about the guy you just traded two starters for who returned from an ACL injury just weeks ago. Perkins suffered the sprain against the Warriors Tuesday before being traded Thursday, left the court gingerly, then missed the rest of the game. But he obviously cleared the trade physicals, so the Thunder staff likely isn’t worried, it’s just not what you want to hear from the new starter, especially when you play the Lakers on Sunday.
The other question is where Nate Robinson will fit in on this team. Eric Maynor is still the backup point guard, presumably, though Robinson definitely fits in with the culture of the team in OKC with the laughing and joking. Robinson might work in spots as a two-guard even with his size, should the Thunder go into super-small ball.
For Perkins, it’ll leave him just a little under a month to get used to his new teammates before the playoffs start. But then, he usually comes back from injury sooner rather than later. We’ll see if his intensity is the same in Oklahoma City as it was in Boston.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50