Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
Atlanta did the right thing — they needed Mike Bibby gone and any other point guard in. Kirk Hinrich is an upgrade.
But it’s easy to see why Bibby is unhappy — he went from the starting point guard on a playoff team to being John Wall’s understudy on a lottery team.
Bibby wants a buyout, something speculated about from the moment of the trade and confirmed by Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
But that doesn’t mean he is going to get it.
But while the topic has been discussed internally, a league source said Bibby would have to make a huge sacrifice of what’s left of the $5.8 million he is owed this season, and the $6.4 million he will receive next season. Since that appears unlikely, Bibby is expected to be in uniform in Miami on Friday.
It’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
Well, maybe not always — Zydrunas Ilgauskas was traded to the Wizards last year but refused to report and wanted a buyout, so he gave up $1.5 million of his salary to make it happen. Bibby would likely need to take a bigger haircut on his salary than that.
Bibby likely will be wearing the number 00 for Washington. Double Agent Zero. That should go well.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6