Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 AM EST
Atlanta did the right thing — they needed Mike Bibby gone and any other point guard in. Kirk Hinrich is an upgrade.
But it’s easy to see why Bibby is unhappy — he went from the starting point guard on a playoff team to being John Wall’s understudy on a lottery team.
Bibby wants a buyout, something speculated about from the moment of the trade and confirmed by Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
But that doesn’t mean he is going to get it.
But while the topic has been discussed internally, a league source said Bibby would have to make a huge sacrifice of what’s left of the $5.8 million he is owed this season, and the $6.4 million he will receive next season. Since that appears unlikely, Bibby is expected to be in uniform in Miami on Friday.
It’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
Well, maybe not always — Zydrunas Ilgauskas was traded to the Wizards last year but refused to report and wanted a buyout, so he gave up $1.5 million of his salary to make it happen. Bibby would likely need to take a bigger haircut on his salary than that.
Bibby likely will be wearing the number 00 for Washington. Double Agent Zero. That should go well.
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 19
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 0
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 13
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Life is good in the Golden State 12
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 5
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 11
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 12
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20