Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
Atlanta did the right thing — they needed Mike Bibby gone and any other point guard in. Kirk Hinrich is an upgrade.
But it’s easy to see why Bibby is unhappy — he went from the starting point guard on a playoff team to being John Wall’s understudy on a lottery team.
Bibby wants a buyout, something speculated about from the moment of the trade and confirmed by Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
But that doesn’t mean he is going to get it.
But while the topic has been discussed internally, a league source said Bibby would have to make a huge sacrifice of what’s left of the $5.8 million he is owed this season, and the $6.4 million he will receive next season. Since that appears unlikely, Bibby is expected to be in uniform in Miami on Friday.
It’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
Well, maybe not always — Zydrunas Ilgauskas was traded to the Wizards last year but refused to report and wanted a buyout, so he gave up $1.5 million of his salary to make it happen. Bibby would likely need to take a bigger haircut on his salary than that.
Bibby likely will be wearing the number 00 for Washington. Double Agent Zero. That should go well.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35