Feb 25, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
Atlanta did the right thing — they needed Mike Bibby gone and any other point guard in. Kirk Hinrich is an upgrade.
But it’s easy to see why Bibby is unhappy — he went from the starting point guard on a playoff team to being John Wall’s understudy on a lottery team.
Bibby wants a buyout, something speculated about from the moment of the trade and confirmed by Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
But that doesn’t mean he is going to get it.
But while the topic has been discussed internally, a league source said Bibby would have to make a huge sacrifice of what’s left of the $5.8 million he is owed this season, and the $6.4 million he will receive next season. Since that appears unlikely, Bibby is expected to be in uniform in Miami on Friday.
It’s about the money. It’s always about the money.
Well, maybe not always — Zydrunas Ilgauskas was traded to the Wizards last year but refused to report and wanted a buyout, so he gave up $1.5 million of his salary to make it happen. Bibby would likely need to take a bigger haircut on his salary than that.
Bibby likely will be wearing the number 00 for Washington. Double Agent Zero. That should go well.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49