Feb 23, 2011, 3:42 AM EDT
The Miami Heat need a center. They could use a point guard, too, but center is the big need. They gaze into their playoff crystal ball and they see the Celtics and Lakers and their giant front lines. They realize what a matchup nightmare that would be for them.
So the Heat are dangling swingman Mike Miller in an effort to find a center (or a point guard), according to Brian Windhorst at ESPN.
Miller is the Heat’s most tradable asset, even though he’s in the first season of a five-year, $29 million contract he signed last summer and is averaging just 5.9 points on 41 percent shooting as he recovers from a hand injury that cost him the first two months of the season.
One executive said the Heat have been calling around but just “don’t have much they can trade.” This is literally true, as several of Miami’s players who signed minimum contracts this summer — such as Jamaal Magliore and Carlos Arroyo — can’t be traded without their permission because they’d lose their Bird Rights. Two other players, Udonis Haslem and rookie Dexter Pittman, are both out recovering from surgeries. The only other significant asset the Heat have that would merit any interest is the Timberwolves’ 2011 second-round pick, which would be a sweetener at best.
Center is the biggest issue for the Heat. Not so much on offense, but on defense the Heat need a guy who can clog the lane, block shots and rebound. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra started Erick Dampier at center Tuesday. He’s that desperate.
Miller did not play Tuesday, but that has noting to do with a trade. He is still suffering some concussion symptoms after getting hit in the head in three consecutive games last week. But when Miller was signed he was going to be the missing piece — the spread-the-floor swingman who would make teams pay for collapsing on the slashing LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. However, James Jones has become such a reliable three-point threat that Miller could be moved if they can find the center they desperately need.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 10
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 25
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9