Feb 23, 2011, 3:42 AM EDT
The Miami Heat need a center. They could use a point guard, too, but center is the big need. They gaze into their playoff crystal ball and they see the Celtics and Lakers and their giant front lines. They realize what a matchup nightmare that would be for them.
So the Heat are dangling swingman Mike Miller in an effort to find a center (or a point guard), according to Brian Windhorst at ESPN.
Miller is the Heat’s most tradable asset, even though he’s in the first season of a five-year, $29 million contract he signed last summer and is averaging just 5.9 points on 41 percent shooting as he recovers from a hand injury that cost him the first two months of the season.
One executive said the Heat have been calling around but just “don’t have much they can trade.” This is literally true, as several of Miami’s players who signed minimum contracts this summer — such as Jamaal Magliore and Carlos Arroyo — can’t be traded without their permission because they’d lose their Bird Rights. Two other players, Udonis Haslem and rookie Dexter Pittman, are both out recovering from surgeries. The only other significant asset the Heat have that would merit any interest is the Timberwolves’ 2011 second-round pick, which would be a sweetener at best.
Center is the biggest issue for the Heat. Not so much on offense, but on defense the Heat need a guy who can clog the lane, block shots and rebound. Heat coach Erik Spoelstra started Erick Dampier at center Tuesday. He’s that desperate.
Miller did not play Tuesday, but that has noting to do with a trade. He is still suffering some concussion symptoms after getting hit in the head in three consecutive games last week. But when Miller was signed he was going to be the missing piece — the spread-the-floor swingman who would make teams pay for collapsing on the slashing LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. However, James Jones has become such a reliable three-point threat that Miller could be moved if they can find the center they desperately need.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 0
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 24
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 18
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 25
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 28
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 38
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29