Feb 23, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Denver is not Cleveland. They got something back for their superstar.
But Denver was not a winner either in having to trade away Carmelo Anthony, and their GM Masai Ujiri said as much, as the fantastic Chris Tomasson reported at Fanhouse.
“We feel we got killed in the trade because we lost a couple of pretty good players,” Ujiri said. “Obviously, Carmelo Anthony. I feel sad for the city of Denver. I feel bad that this was done on my watch. To lose a guy like that. And also Chauncey (Billups). But I think we had to do it.”
It was the loss of Billups that in some ways stung Nuggets fans more than Anthony. The eight months of dragged out drama had desensitized them to Anthony leaving. Billups, a Denver native, was more sudden.
Nets president Josh Kroenke signaled out Billups in particular and apologized for him getting dragged into this, as reported in the Denver Post.
“I want to offer a personal apology to the Billups family,” Kroenke said. “They mean the world to me personally, and I know that Chauncey means everything to Denver. And when I say Denver, I mean just Denver basketball on every level. He is Denver basketball. He was a high school star here, he was a college star here, he was a professional star here. It was an incredibly tough decision to include him in this trade.”
Now the Nuggets move on, with some serious decisions to make.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 25
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 76
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 16
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14