Feb 23, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Denver is not Cleveland. They got something back for their superstar.
But Denver was not a winner either in having to trade away Carmelo Anthony, and their GM Masai Ujiri said as much, as the fantastic Chris Tomasson reported at Fanhouse.
“We feel we got killed in the trade because we lost a couple of pretty good players,” Ujiri said. “Obviously, Carmelo Anthony. I feel sad for the city of Denver. I feel bad that this was done on my watch. To lose a guy like that. And also Chauncey (Billups). But I think we had to do it.”
It was the loss of Billups that in some ways stung Nuggets fans more than Anthony. The eight months of dragged out drama had desensitized them to Anthony leaving. Billups, a Denver native, was more sudden.
Nets president Josh Kroenke signaled out Billups in particular and apologized for him getting dragged into this, as reported in the Denver Post.
“I want to offer a personal apology to the Billups family,” Kroenke said. “They mean the world to me personally, and I know that Chauncey means everything to Denver. And when I say Denver, I mean just Denver basketball on every level. He is Denver basketball. He was a high school star here, he was a college star here, he was a professional star here. It was an incredibly tough decision to include him in this trade.”
Now the Nuggets move on, with some serious decisions to make.
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 0
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 6
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 21
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6