Nuggets GM on Carmelo Anthony deal: “We got killed”

Feb 23, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT

Image (1) canthony_billups-thumb-250x140-18636.jpg for post 3784

Denver is not Cleveland. They got something back for their superstar.

But Denver was not a winner either in having to trade away Carmelo Anthony, and their GM Masai Ujiri said as much, as the fantastic Chris Tomasson reported at Fanhouse.

“We feel we got killed in the trade because we lost a couple of pretty good players,” Ujiri said. “Obviously, Carmelo Anthony. I feel sad for the city of Denver. I feel bad that this was done on my watch. To lose a guy like that. And also Chauncey (Billups). But I think we had to do it.”

It was the loss of Billups that in some ways stung Nuggets fans more than Anthony. The eight months of dragged out drama had desensitized them to Anthony leaving. Billups, a Denver native, was more sudden.

Nets president Josh Kroenke signaled out Billups in particular and apologized for him getting dragged into this, as reported in the Denver Post.

“I want to offer a personal apology to the Billups family,” Kroenke said. “They mean the world to me personally, and I know that Chauncey means everything to Denver. And when I say Denver, I mean just Denver basketball on every level. He is Denver basketball. He was a high school star here, he was a college star here, he was a professional star here. It was an incredibly tough decision to include him in this trade.”

Now the Nuggets move on, with some serious decisions to make.

1. denverhoopdreams - Feb 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Gotta love the spelling errors, the wrong teams you mentioned(calling the Nuggets the Nets? Come on!) and how you don’t even quote with Ujiri was saying during in game commentary last night.

You’re on a roll with this Melo trade Kurt. Glad I hear everything you post first elsewhere.

2. savocabol1 - Feb 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Yeah, you gained players that have a ton of potential and gold-like draft picks. You really got killed on that deal. I’ll be in Cleveland sending you flowers for the pain you are feeling after this trade…..

• denverhoopdreams - Feb 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Oh Savocabol1; Denver fans(not common-place fans) are well aware that we got an amazing trade out of this. Ujiri was talking during the game last night for almost a whole quarter. What he said was that the Nuggets believe the 4 members we’ve received from the Knicks have the potential to take us deep.

• Kurt Helin - Feb 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Um, what do you expect him to say? Do you really trust anything any GM says after a trade?

3. hnirobert3 - Feb 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Be honest Kurt, did you just thumbs up your own comment?

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches