Chauncey Billups reminds us of the human side of trades

Feb 23, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

When an NBA trade gets made, we start breaking it down on the court. Did the Nets get better? What do the Jazz do next? Same with the Nuggets and the Knicks and everyone else.

But while we break down if Chauncey Billups is a good fit in the Knicks offense, Billups has to go home and explain what happened to his young children, as he told the Denver Post.

“That right there was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life,” Billups said. “That’s tough, man. That right there was the toughest thing for me – the family aspect of it. Basketball is basketball, I’ve been doing that all my life, that won’t change, wherever I’m at. But it’s the family aspect that people don’t understand. I got to go home and face my three daughters, I have to face my wife, and tell them that daddy’s leaving. And daddy doesn’t have a choice, daddy doesn’t have an option. And that I have to go in 24 hours.”

Billups doesn’t want you to feel sorry for him. We shouldn’t, he gets compensated handsomely for his skills. But if you have children, you can imagine just how hard that would be. They don’t understand anything except that daddy is going away for a few months and they won’t see him.

Billups added that he is not moving out of his hometown Denver because of this.

“I’ll say this – everyone knows that I love Denver. It’s always going to be my home. Everything I do in the community, I’m still going to do. My foundation, the AAU program, nothing at all is going to change. I’m always going to be Denver. I love the fans, the treated me great, they showed me a lot of love – and I appreciate that.”

1. acanniv - Feb 23, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Chauncey Billups is a class act. Good luck in New York, Smooth.

2. heyooooh - Feb 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I always liked this guy. He’s a true pro. Was a helluva player for a long time. Came up big in a lot of clutch situations over the years. It’s sad to see a guy get traded, when he’s actually the one that wants to stay & you know the team would rather have kept him.

3. digitalpoo - Feb 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Class act.

4. jamie54 - Feb 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Yes, it’s toughest on children no doubt about it. What about our people in the military who might not come back, or can’t afford IPAD’s to skype with their loved one’s, or can’t fly home during a break, or fly their family in, and whom you are getting paid more in one game than they do for a year? Nope, don’t feel sorry at any of them.

• genericcommenter - Feb 23, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Sure, the situations you described are sad, but they last time I checked they decided to sign those contracts and market their talents that way.. in both situations.

As the article said, I don’t think Billups wants anyone to feel sorry for him. He knows has a good life that the majority of us could only dream of. He was just relating the human side of it. No one bashed the military.

• motherscratcher23 - Feb 24, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Do you think it might be possible to acknowledge that something like this would be hard for the wonderful people in the military AND for Chauncey Billups? Or is it only one or the other? Help me understand this.

I’m not sure that I even remember when it became a “who’s children are allow to be sad that daddy is leaving” competition.

What the hell is wrong with you anyway?

5. downtowndanny - Feb 23, 2011 at 10:04 PM

that sucks, I couldn’t imagine being away from my kids for months at a time. no amount of money can replace that…..for that kind of sacrifice anything short of a ring just wont do. The Knicks came up, by adding a guy who has won a ring and can lead a team.

6. dysraw1 - Feb 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM

cb4 u got big shoes to fill, i know u r capable

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches