Feb 23, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
When an NBA trade gets made, we start breaking it down on the court. Did the Nets get better? What do the Jazz do next? Same with the Nuggets and the Knicks and everyone else.
But while we break down if Chauncey Billups is a good fit in the Knicks offense, Billups has to go home and explain what happened to his young children, as he told the Denver Post.
“That right there was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life,” Billups said. “That’s tough, man. That right there was the toughest thing for me – the family aspect of it. Basketball is basketball, I’ve been doing that all my life, that won’t change, wherever I’m at. But it’s the family aspect that people don’t understand. I got to go home and face my three daughters, I have to face my wife, and tell them that daddy’s leaving. And daddy doesn’t have a choice, daddy doesn’t have an option. And that I have to go in 24 hours.”
Billups doesn’t want you to feel sorry for him. We shouldn’t, he gets compensated handsomely for his skills. But if you have children, you can imagine just how hard that would be. They don’t understand anything except that daddy is going away for a few months and they won’t see him.
Billups added that he is not moving out of his hometown Denver because of this.
“I’ll say this – everyone knows that I love Denver. It’s always going to be my home. Everything I do in the community, I’m still going to do. My foundation, the AAU program, nothing at all is going to change. I’m always going to be Denver. I love the fans, the treated me great, they showed me a lot of love – and I appreciate that.”
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 3
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 18
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7