Feb 23, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
When an NBA trade gets made, we start breaking it down on the court. Did the Nets get better? What do the Jazz do next? Same with the Nuggets and the Knicks and everyone else.
But while we break down if Chauncey Billups is a good fit in the Knicks offense, Billups has to go home and explain what happened to his young children, as he told the Denver Post.
“That right there was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life,” Billups said. “That’s tough, man. That right there was the toughest thing for me – the family aspect of it. Basketball is basketball, I’ve been doing that all my life, that won’t change, wherever I’m at. But it’s the family aspect that people don’t understand. I got to go home and face my three daughters, I have to face my wife, and tell them that daddy’s leaving. And daddy doesn’t have a choice, daddy doesn’t have an option. And that I have to go in 24 hours.”
Billups doesn’t want you to feel sorry for him. We shouldn’t, he gets compensated handsomely for his skills. But if you have children, you can imagine just how hard that would be. They don’t understand anything except that daddy is going away for a few months and they won’t see him.
Billups added that he is not moving out of his hometown Denver because of this.
“I’ll say this – everyone knows that I love Denver. It’s always going to be my home. Everything I do in the community, I’m still going to do. My foundation, the AAU program, nothing at all is going to change. I’m always going to be Denver. I love the fans, the treated me great, they showed me a lot of love – and I appreciate that.”
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 0
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 27
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record