Feb 23, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
New York is buzzing over Carmelo Anthony. Like first date with Minka Kelly kind of buzzing. They are over-the-top giddy and can’t believe they landed this.
Anthony himself is trying to play it cool while still getting the lay of the land in what can be the unpredictable world of the New York Knicks. Like the fact that he and his wife LaLa Vasquez already have a reality show lined up on VH1, announced before his first game as a Knick.
Like after his first press conference as a Knick, when Clyde Frazier walked on stage in the leopard print suit. ‘Melo and Chauncey Billups (who was right next to him) just started cracking up.
Or when owner James Dolan hijacked said press conference’s opening remarks to thank Vasquez before even Anthony’s agent. Then Dolan spent more time talking about how he was not talking to Isiah Thomas then he spent actually talking about Carmelo Anthony.
“While Isiah Thomas is a good friend of mine, a very good friend, he was not involved in this process,” Dolan said. “He wasn’t advising me or telling me what to do in any way. Any reports he was doing that are simply untrue and a fiction in somebody’s mind.”
Okay. Still not on board there. But Dolan did say he and team president Donnie Walsh would talk about a contract extension after the trade deadline. So maybe something good will come out of all this.
Anthony spoke to, sounding very confident. Eerily like a LeBron James press conference confident. Such as when he was asked about all the role players they Knicks had to give up to get him.
“I think if any of you guys were GM, you’d want me and Amar’e (Stoudemire) on the same team,” Anthony said. “I don’t know who would turn that down.”
Or him talking about the buzz around town.
“I think at the end of the day, I think New York needed a moment like this,” Anthony said. “I think when they acquired Amar’e it brung some excitement back to the city. Now, like Amar’e said, New York basketball is back.
“Will we win a championship this year? Who knows? But I wanted to be with an organization moving in the right direction.”
Just like your first date with Minka Kelly, there are serious questions about how it is going to work out long term. There are questions about the offense and how Billups in particular blends in. There are questions about the defense. There are questions about what kind of team the Knicks will be able to put together around those their two stars.
But tonight is not about all that. Tonight is about the first date. And New York is rightfully buzzing.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million