Feb 23, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
New York is buzzing over Carmelo Anthony. Like first date with Minka Kelly kind of buzzing. They are over-the-top giddy and can’t believe they landed this.
Anthony himself is trying to play it cool while still getting the lay of the land in what can be the unpredictable world of the New York Knicks. Like the fact that he and his wife LaLa Vasquez already have a reality show lined up on VH1, announced before his first game as a Knick.
Like after his first press conference as a Knick, when Clyde Frazier walked on stage in the leopard print suit. ‘Melo and Chauncey Billups (who was right next to him) just started cracking up.
Or when owner James Dolan hijacked said press conference’s opening remarks to thank Vasquez before even Anthony’s agent. Then Dolan spent more time talking about how he was not talking to Isiah Thomas then he spent actually talking about Carmelo Anthony.
“While Isiah Thomas is a good friend of mine, a very good friend, he was not involved in this process,” Dolan said. “He wasn’t advising me or telling me what to do in any way. Any reports he was doing that are simply untrue and a fiction in somebody’s mind.”
Okay. Still not on board there. But Dolan did say he and team president Donnie Walsh would talk about a contract extension after the trade deadline. So maybe something good will come out of all this.
Anthony spoke to, sounding very confident. Eerily like a LeBron James press conference confident. Such as when he was asked about all the role players they Knicks had to give up to get him.
“I think if any of you guys were GM, you’d want me and Amar’e (Stoudemire) on the same team,” Anthony said. “I don’t know who would turn that down.”
Or him talking about the buzz around town.
“I think at the end of the day, I think New York needed a moment like this,” Anthony said. “I think when they acquired Amar’e it brung some excitement back to the city. Now, like Amar’e said, New York basketball is back.
“Will we win a championship this year? Who knows? But I wanted to be with an organization moving in the right direction.”
Just like your first date with Minka Kelly, there are serious questions about how it is going to work out long term. There are questions about the offense and how Billups in particular blends in. There are questions about the defense. There are questions about what kind of team the Knicks will be able to put together around those their two stars.
But tonight is not about all that. Tonight is about the first date. And New York is rightfully buzzing.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 16
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 9
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23