Feb 22, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo!, the Oklahoma City Thunder are taking a “careful” look at Memphis Grizzlies center Hasheem Thabeet, but are only willing to pay a “modest” price for him.
Let’s take a look at why it may make sense for the Thunder to take a flyer on Thabeet:
- Thabeet is only 24 years old, and hasn’t even finished his second year in the NBA yet.
- It wasn’t long ago that Thabeet was named the NCAA defensive player of the year and averaged 4.2 blocks per game.
- Thabeet is still 7-2 with a 7-6 wingspan.
- The Thunder desperately need somebody capable of defending the rim — according Hoopdata.com, only the Raptors allow more made baskets at the rim per game.
That’s the case for Thabeet. The case against Thabeet is that he has been a terrible, terrible, terrible NBA player. Thabeet is shooting just over 40% from the field, is a 50% free throw shooter, and commits 7.7 fouls per 40 minutes. Thabeet is young, but he has yet to show any glimpses of competence. That’s not good, and that’s why the Thunder are only willing to pay a “modest price” for a player who was the #2 overall draft pick just last year.
There’s a chance that Thabeet will become the kind of shot-blocker he was in college in the right system, but right now he may be on his way to being the biggest draft bust in history — Kwame Brown has at least been a rotation player for the better part of a decade. We’ll see if any team is willing to try and save him from that kind of infamy.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14