Feb 22, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo!, the Oklahoma City Thunder are taking a “careful” look at Memphis Grizzlies center Hasheem Thabeet, but are only willing to pay a “modest” price for him.
Let’s take a look at why it may make sense for the Thunder to take a flyer on Thabeet:
- Thabeet is only 24 years old, and hasn’t even finished his second year in the NBA yet.
- It wasn’t long ago that Thabeet was named the NCAA defensive player of the year and averaged 4.2 blocks per game.
- Thabeet is still 7-2 with a 7-6 wingspan.
- The Thunder desperately need somebody capable of defending the rim — according Hoopdata.com, only the Raptors allow more made baskets at the rim per game.
That’s the case for Thabeet. The case against Thabeet is that he has been a terrible, terrible, terrible NBA player. Thabeet is shooting just over 40% from the field, is a 50% free throw shooter, and commits 7.7 fouls per 40 minutes. Thabeet is young, but he has yet to show any glimpses of competence. That’s not good, and that’s why the Thunder are only willing to pay a “modest price” for a player who was the #2 overall draft pick just last year.
There’s a chance that Thabeet will become the kind of shot-blocker he was in college in the right system, but right now he may be on his way to being the biggest draft bust in history — Kwame Brown has at least been a rotation player for the better part of a decade. We’ll see if any team is willing to try and save him from that kind of infamy.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47