Feb 22, 2011, 1:10 AM EDT
Feb. 22, 1:10 am: According to friend of the site A. Sherrod Blakely this trade is not happening. Which makes sense. As we discuss in the post below there just isn’t much the Celtics could really offer that would entice the Rockets — nobody is going to take on Jermaine O’Neal’s deal if they are smart. And Daryl Morey is smart. Even Avery Bradley and a pick is not going to get him to agree to that, he Morey can do better for Battier.
Feb. 21, 9:19 pm: In a move that should strike fear into every other title contender, the Celtics have reached out to the Houston Rockets about Shane Battier, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Boston has been looking for depth at the three since Marquis Daniels went down with an injury, but Battier is a considerable upgrade.
But it’s a tough deal to make. Battier is in the final year of a $7.4 million contract, and the Rockets are not going to give him up without something of real value for their future in return. A deal of Avery Bradley and Jermaine O’Neal works on paper, but that may well not be enough to interest the Nuggets. Boston is not going to move anyone from its core.
This seems a bit of a longshot, but it shows how hard Celtics GM Danny Ainge is working the phones to get a deal. They face some competition as the Bulls also would like to fill a slot on the wing before the deadline.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15