Feb 22, 2011, 1:10 AM EST
Feb. 22, 1:10 am: According to friend of the site A. Sherrod Blakely this trade is not happening. Which makes sense. As we discuss in the post below there just isn’t much the Celtics could really offer that would entice the Rockets — nobody is going to take on Jermaine O’Neal’s deal if they are smart. And Daryl Morey is smart. Even Avery Bradley and a pick is not going to get him to agree to that, he Morey can do better for Battier.
Feb. 21, 9:19 pm: In a move that should strike fear into every other title contender, the Celtics have reached out to the Houston Rockets about Shane Battier, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Boston has been looking for depth at the three since Marquis Daniels went down with an injury, but Battier is a considerable upgrade.
But it’s a tough deal to make. Battier is in the final year of a $7.4 million contract, and the Rockets are not going to give him up without something of real value for their future in return. A deal of Avery Bradley and Jermaine O’Neal works on paper, but that may well not be enough to interest the Nuggets. Boston is not going to move anyone from its core.
This seems a bit of a longshot, but it shows how hard Celtics GM Danny Ainge is working the phones to get a deal. They face some competition as the Bulls also would like to fill a slot on the wing before the deadline.
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 7
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 14
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5