Feb 22, 2011, 1:10 AM EST
Feb. 22, 1:10 am: According to friend of the site A. Sherrod Blakely this trade is not happening. Which makes sense. As we discuss in the post below there just isn’t much the Celtics could really offer that would entice the Rockets — nobody is going to take on Jermaine O’Neal’s deal if they are smart. And Daryl Morey is smart. Even Avery Bradley and a pick is not going to get him to agree to that, he Morey can do better for Battier.
Feb. 21, 9:19 pm: In a move that should strike fear into every other title contender, the Celtics have reached out to the Houston Rockets about Shane Battier, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Boston has been looking for depth at the three since Marquis Daniels went down with an injury, but Battier is a considerable upgrade.
But it’s a tough deal to make. Battier is in the final year of a $7.4 million contract, and the Rockets are not going to give him up without something of real value for their future in return. A deal of Avery Bradley and Jermaine O’Neal works on paper, but that may well not be enough to interest the Nuggets. Boston is not going to move anyone from its core.
This seems a bit of a longshot, but it shows how hard Celtics GM Danny Ainge is working the phones to get a deal. They face some competition as the Bulls also would like to fill a slot on the wing before the deadline.
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 0
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 6
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 9
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)