Feb 22, 2011, 1:10 AM EDT
Feb. 22, 1:10 am: According to friend of the site A. Sherrod Blakely this trade is not happening. Which makes sense. As we discuss in the post below there just isn’t much the Celtics could really offer that would entice the Rockets — nobody is going to take on Jermaine O’Neal’s deal if they are smart. And Daryl Morey is smart. Even Avery Bradley and a pick is not going to get him to agree to that, he Morey can do better for Battier.
Feb. 21, 9:19 pm: In a move that should strike fear into every other title contender, the Celtics have reached out to the Houston Rockets about Shane Battier, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Boston has been looking for depth at the three since Marquis Daniels went down with an injury, but Battier is a considerable upgrade.
But it’s a tough deal to make. Battier is in the final year of a $7.4 million contract, and the Rockets are not going to give him up without something of real value for their future in return. A deal of Avery Bradley and Jermaine O’Neal works on paper, but that may well not be enough to interest the Nuggets. Boston is not going to move anyone from its core.
This seems a bit of a longshot, but it shows how hard Celtics GM Danny Ainge is working the phones to get a deal. They face some competition as the Bulls also would like to fill a slot on the wing before the deadline.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 10
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 43
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11