Feb 22, 2011, 3:23 PM EDT
DeMar DeRozan came out and really rocked it last weekend. Not like Lenny Kravitz, we mean in a good way.
He came out for the dunk contest Saturday and threw it down old school. Forget the cars and the second backboard and stuffed animals hanging from the rim. He came out and just dunked.
“I’m a dunker. Dunk contests, you go out there and dunk. I’m not into all the props and everything,” DeRozan said at shootaround before Tuesday’s game against Charlotte. “I try to come out with a creative dunk and do it and go from there. My fans liked it and you can see the reaction from a lot of people afterward.
“If there’s a dunk contest next year I’ll do it. But not no prop dunk contest.”
DeRozan speaks for a lot of people, ones who think the dunk contest is more spectacle than show of athletic skills. People who think the props cheapen the event.
The people are losing the war, however. NBA Saturday is not about skills (well, technically the Skills Challenge is, we guess), it’s about show. The NBA is embracing the spectacle, and the fans are tuning in. The old-school dunk contest now is in the wing of the museum with the T-Rex bones.
That said, DeRozan did get jobbed on this one. He was good. Very good.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay