Feb 21, 2011, 12:36 AM EST
It’s near the endgame — Carmelo Anthony himself said after the All-Star Game Sunday “The deadline is Thursday. Something has to happen” (via Ken Berger of CBSSports).
But still the Knicks and Nuggets are fighting over the details right up to the end.
Alan Hahn of Newsday had the conflicting reports. That starts with earlier in the day the Knicks drawing a line in the sand — they were not moving off their last offer. That trade was Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, Wilson Chandler, Eddy Curry (and his amazing expiring contract) plus one first-round pick for Anthony, Chauncey Billups and filler.
Then later during the All-Star Game Hahn tweeted that a source told him Denver said Timofey Mozgov had to be added to the deal or the Nuggets would trade Anthony to the Nets.
Anthony met with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov Saturday and earlier reports are the Nets left that meeting thinking Anthony would not sign an extension with them. But after the game Anthony sounded more upbeat, at least from what he told Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News (on twitter).
“It was interesting. I got a chance to meet him. I was just listening. I didn’t give them a definitive answer… “They were talking and I was listening. …I’m not going to sit here and discuss the selling points.”
Anthony said he did not “close the door” on the Nets after the game. That doesn’t mean the Nets feel good about all this. When asked by an Associated Press reporter about ‘Melo at the All-Star Game Prokhorov said, “I don’t care.” It’s long been known the Nets were not going to trade for him without the extension. Not closing the door is not saying yes.
It still looks like the Knicks and Nuggets will come to a deal. Eventually. On one hand, it’s hard to see the Knicks losing this deal over Mozgov. On the other hand, Denver can’t walk away with nothing, they have no other good options, they need to make a deal.
That deal may take a few days, Anthony said post game that no deal was set up that he knew about. He may play for the Nuggets Tuesday night.
But Anthony wasn’t saying much else. TNT’s Craig Sager and his purple suit tried to talk to Anthony about it during the game but got shot down, with Kobe even stepping in to protect Anthony from more questions.
Amar’e Stoudemore said after the All-Star Game he just wants to focus on his team and not get caught up in the Melodrama.
“It’s going to be a tough 28 games left for the year,” Stoudemire said. “I just don’t want my guys to get distracted with all the rumors.”
That will be hard. But at least he won’t have to do it much longer.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)