Feb 21, 2011, 10:39 AM EDT
More than seven months after the whole drama started, Carmelo Anthony is going to finally make a decision Monday.
He is finally going to inform the Nets whether or not he would sign an extension with them, according to the New York Post.
If Anthony will sign the three-year, $65 million extension with New Jersey then the Nets and Nuggets will make a deal that would send Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Renaldo Balkman, Shelden Williams and Melvin Ely to the Nets. In return the Nuggets would get Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, rookie Ben Uzoh and Troy Murphy and up to four first round picks. (Don’t expect the Nuggets and Murphy to be paired long if at all. They have been looking for a third team to take him, or another team to quickly trade him to, with one possibility being Golden State.)
If Anthony says no to the Nets, the Nuggets and Knicks are close to having a deal and likely would finalize one. Whether or not Timofey Mozgov is part of that deal remains to be seen.
Anthony met all the key owners this weekend — Knicks owner James Dolan Thursday and Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov on Saturday. Initial reports were the Nets did not think that meeting went well, but Prokhorov was more positive with CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell Sunday.
“It was a fantastic meeting, trust me,” Prokhorov said, smiling. “No words, live music, excellent atmosphere. We looked into each other’s eyes. Just real man talk….
“Carmelo is in a difficult situation,” Prokhorov said. “For him, maybe it’s the most important decision of his life.”
Prokhorov also said he believes pulling the team out of prior negotiations was the right move, as was getting back in when they did.
“I think we made a very good tactical decision to force (the) Knicks to pay as much as they can,” Prokhorov said. “So it’s very good, it’s very interesting, it’s very competitive.”
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13