Feb 21, 2011, 4:36 PM EDT
Well, someone is going to get traded besides Carmelo Anthony. We swear.
Charlotte’s active in talks to move Gerald Wallace and/or Stephen Jackson, league execs say. Houston, Portland, others w/ eye on Wallace.
There should be interest in Wallace, he is a quality three guard who can defend and shoot the rock. His shooting numbers are down this season — 15.6 points per game on 43 percent shooting — but that’s because he is getting to the rim less often and shooting more from 16 feet out. It’s the kind of thing that can be corrected, and depending on where he is traded he may not have to carry as much of the offensive load, improving his percentages. At least in theory.
Portland is an interesting destination for him, but the Bobcats likely would push for Nicolas Batum to be part of the deal, and the Trail Blazers have been loath to include the young French wing player in any deal. As they should — Batum is a keeper. Moving Batum to the Bobcats is especially foolish — Wallace is the better offensive player but he is also eight years older than Batum and more expensive. A package based around Rudy Fernandez and picks would make more sense to Portland.
What Charlotte wants in any deal right now is to save money. Michael Jordan is trying to keep his costs down heading into a new collective bargaining agreement. He’d love to get good young players. But right now, not a lot of teams are giving up quality players or cap flexibility.
Still, something to watch.
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 5
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 9
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 22
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 3
- Pacers’ troubles continue as Hawks convincingly win Game 1 32