Feb 21, 2011, 4:36 PM EST
Well, someone is going to get traded besides Carmelo Anthony. We swear.
Charlotte’s active in talks to move Gerald Wallace and/or Stephen Jackson, league execs say. Houston, Portland, others w/ eye on Wallace.
There should be interest in Wallace, he is a quality three guard who can defend and shoot the rock. His shooting numbers are down this season — 15.6 points per game on 43 percent shooting — but that’s because he is getting to the rim less often and shooting more from 16 feet out. It’s the kind of thing that can be corrected, and depending on where he is traded he may not have to carry as much of the offensive load, improving his percentages. At least in theory.
Portland is an interesting destination for him, but the Bobcats likely would push for Nicolas Batum to be part of the deal, and the Trail Blazers have been loath to include the young French wing player in any deal. As they should — Batum is a keeper. Moving Batum to the Bobcats is especially foolish — Wallace is the better offensive player but he is also eight years older than Batum and more expensive. A package based around Rudy Fernandez and picks would make more sense to Portland.
What Charlotte wants in any deal right now is to save money. Michael Jordan is trying to keep his costs down heading into a new collective bargaining agreement. He’d love to get good young players. But right now, not a lot of teams are giving up quality players or cap flexibility.
Still, something to watch.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 13
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30