Feb 21, 2011, 4:36 PM EDT
Well, someone is going to get traded besides Carmelo Anthony. We swear.
Charlotte’s active in talks to move Gerald Wallace and/or Stephen Jackson, league execs say. Houston, Portland, others w/ eye on Wallace.
There should be interest in Wallace, he is a quality three guard who can defend and shoot the rock. His shooting numbers are down this season — 15.6 points per game on 43 percent shooting — but that’s because he is getting to the rim less often and shooting more from 16 feet out. It’s the kind of thing that can be corrected, and depending on where he is traded he may not have to carry as much of the offensive load, improving his percentages. At least in theory.
Portland is an interesting destination for him, but the Bobcats likely would push for Nicolas Batum to be part of the deal, and the Trail Blazers have been loath to include the young French wing player in any deal. As they should — Batum is a keeper. Moving Batum to the Bobcats is especially foolish — Wallace is the better offensive player but he is also eight years older than Batum and more expensive. A package based around Rudy Fernandez and picks would make more sense to Portland.
What Charlotte wants in any deal right now is to save money. Michael Jordan is trying to keep his costs down heading into a new collective bargaining agreement. He’d love to get good young players. But right now, not a lot of teams are giving up quality players or cap flexibility.
Still, something to watch.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 7
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4