Feb 21, 2011, 8:19 AM EDT
You knew this was coming on All-Star Sunday like you knew Kobe Bryant was going to try and win the MVP and Blake Griffin would dunk the ball.
Deron Williams denied a report that he plans to follow Amar’e Stoudemire to New York after his contract expires.
“When it comes from my mouth, when I say I want to go to New York, then you can believe it.”
Williams has played his entire career as a member of the Utah Jazz, but can opt out of his deal after next season, in the summer of 2012. Chris Paul and Dwight Howard both can also theoretically become free agents that summer.
Predicting now what anybody will do that summer is impossible, in part because nobody knows what the free agency rules will be then under a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. But more than that, circumstances change. The hot franchise everyone wants to go to can change by then. Williams may feel differently by then.
So we’ll wait to see what Williams tells us down the line… okay, we probably won’t wait that long. But right now predicting that summer is a fool’s errand.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 7
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 18
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29