Feb 21, 2011, 8:19 AM EDT
You knew this was coming on All-Star Sunday like you knew Kobe Bryant was going to try and win the MVP and Blake Griffin would dunk the ball.
Deron Williams denied a report that he plans to follow Amar’e Stoudemire to New York after his contract expires.
“When it comes from my mouth, when I say I want to go to New York, then you can believe it.”
Williams has played his entire career as a member of the Utah Jazz, but can opt out of his deal after next season, in the summer of 2012. Chris Paul and Dwight Howard both can also theoretically become free agents that summer.
Predicting now what anybody will do that summer is impossible, in part because nobody knows what the free agency rules will be then under a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. But more than that, circumstances change. The hot franchise everyone wants to go to can change by then. Williams may feel differently by then.
So we’ll wait to see what Williams tells us down the line… okay, we probably won’t wait that long. But right now predicting that summer is a fool’s errand.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 19
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 72
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13