Feb 21, 2011, 8:19 AM EDT
You knew this was coming on All-Star Sunday like you knew Kobe Bryant was going to try and win the MVP and Blake Griffin would dunk the ball.
Deron Williams denied a report that he plans to follow Amar’e Stoudemire to New York after his contract expires.
“When it comes from my mouth, when I say I want to go to New York, then you can believe it.”
Williams has played his entire career as a member of the Utah Jazz, but can opt out of his deal after next season, in the summer of 2012. Chris Paul and Dwight Howard both can also theoretically become free agents that summer.
Predicting now what anybody will do that summer is impossible, in part because nobody knows what the free agency rules will be then under a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. But more than that, circumstances change. The hot franchise everyone wants to go to can change by then. Williams may feel differently by then.
So we’ll wait to see what Williams tells us down the line… okay, we probably won’t wait that long. But right now predicting that summer is a fool’s errand.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32