Feb 20, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
David Stern continues to provide cover for the Maloof brothers — the owners of the Sacramento Kings — to get out of Dodge if they so choose.
Meeting with the media Saturday, Stern confirmed that the Maloofs and representatives of the Honda Center in Anaheim have talked. That representative would be Henry Samueli, the owner of the NHL’s Anaheim Ducks, even though Stern did not name him.
Stern did not say where those talks stood, dodging that part of the question a couple times (saying nobody has told him where things stand).
But Stern did say the league is done trying to help Sacramento get an arena — they are on their own.
“All I’ll say is that we and they have tried very hard over the years to see whether a new building could be built (in Sacramento), and with the collapse of the last attempt — which took a few years and several million dollars on behalf of the league — I said we are not going to spend any more time on that,” Stern said. “That is for the Maloofs and the people of Sacramento.”
The reports are that Samueli — one of the co-founders of Broadcom and worth an estimated $1.7 billion — would get an ownership stake in the team and help wipe out a lot of the debt the Maloofs have built up, according to reports. The Honda Center building itself in Anaheim is NBA ready and Samueli has said he wants an NBA team there.
Still there are a lot of issues (starting with having to pay both the Lakers and Clippers steep relocation fees to move into their market, something that could tip the economic scales against this move.) This move remains a longshot at best. But the sides at least talked, and if the Maloofs want cover, Stern is happy to provide it for them.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4