Feb 20, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
It’s news that will make you bang your head against a wall, because another cycle is starting before the Melodrama has even ended.
It is a report that by Sunday night you can be certain Deron Williams will have denied strenuously multiple times.
But according to Ken Berger at CBSSports, Williams is talking about getting out of Utah in 2012 and going to the Knicks to team up with Amar’e Stoudemire (like ‘Melo this year, Williams has a player option in his contract and he can opt out in 2012). However if the Knicks sign Carmelo Anthony those plans may be dashed.
A person with knowledge of the conversations told CBSSports.com on Saturday that Jazz point guard Deron Williams began informing close associates after last season that if Stoudemire wound up in New York, Williams would follow him there as a free agent in 2012. If the Knicks got Anthony with the three-year extension under current rules, it is not clear whether they’d have enough cap space to add a player such as Williams, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard when the trio become unrestricted free agents after next season.
There are a lot of problems with speculating about the summer of 2012 right now, the big one being we don’t know what the free agency rules will be (that will be part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement). As Berger notes, there is a good chance the Knicks would not have the cap room to get a third star player. Or, there could be a franchise tag in place that would allow Utah to hold on to Williams.
But it’s out there. Somehow the summer of 2012 is in play. Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 10
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 5
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 25
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 15
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 19
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)