Feb 20, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s news that will make you bang your head against a wall, because another cycle is starting before the Melodrama has even ended.
It is a report that by Sunday night you can be certain Deron Williams will have denied strenuously multiple times.
But according to Ken Berger at CBSSports, Williams is talking about getting out of Utah in 2012 and going to the Knicks to team up with Amar’e Stoudemire (like ‘Melo this year, Williams has a player option in his contract and he can opt out in 2012). However if the Knicks sign Carmelo Anthony those plans may be dashed.
A person with knowledge of the conversations told CBSSports.com on Saturday that Jazz point guard Deron Williams began informing close associates after last season that if Stoudemire wound up in New York, Williams would follow him there as a free agent in 2012. If the Knicks got Anthony with the three-year extension under current rules, it is not clear whether they’d have enough cap space to add a player such as Williams, Chris Paul or Dwight Howard when the trio become unrestricted free agents after next season.
There are a lot of problems with speculating about the summer of 2012 right now, the big one being we don’t know what the free agency rules will be (that will be part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement). As Berger notes, there is a good chance the Knicks would not have the cap room to get a third star player. Or, there could be a franchise tag in place that would allow Utah to hold on to Williams.
But it’s out there. Somehow the summer of 2012 is in play. Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 13
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9