Feb 20, 2011, 6:44 PM EST
Because the basketball fates have made them their whipping boy, the Portland Trailblazers are considering wholesale team changes.
At the same time, virtually every team could use a big, shot blocking center in the paint who can also grab some boards and knock down the midrange.
So there is interest out there in the Blazers’ Marcus Camby.
But not from Camby himself. Jason Quick at the Oregonian reports if he gets dealt, Camby will consider just walking away.
“Marcus has made plenty of money in his career, and at this stage would not be keen to move to a rebuilding situation,’’ the source said. “If he is traded, he would likely contemplate retirement.’’
Camby’s agent, Rick Kaplan, on Friday said that line of thinking is consistent with what his client has told him.
“He really wants to stay in Portland, it’s his No. 1 choice,’’ Kaplan said. “It was incredibly important to him when he signed his extension and moved his family that he stay in Portland. I think by now he understands it’s a business, but that’s where he wants to be.’’
Camby has been out for a month after knee surgery, but he is back practicing with the team and is expected to return the break. Camby is scheduled to make $9.2 million next year.
While there may be interest the Blazers have no real depth at center so it’s unlikely they make a move. But now if somebody steps up with an offer they like, the Blazers have another issue to consider.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 9
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 12
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18