Feb 20, 2011, 6:44 PM EDT
Because the basketball fates have made them their whipping boy, the Portland Trailblazers are considering wholesale team changes.
At the same time, virtually every team could use a big, shot blocking center in the paint who can also grab some boards and knock down the midrange.
So there is interest out there in the Blazers’ Marcus Camby.
But not from Camby himself. Jason Quick at the Oregonian reports if he gets dealt, Camby will consider just walking away.
“Marcus has made plenty of money in his career, and at this stage would not be keen to move to a rebuilding situation,’’ the source said. “If he is traded, he would likely contemplate retirement.’’
Camby’s agent, Rick Kaplan, on Friday said that line of thinking is consistent with what his client has told him.
“He really wants to stay in Portland, it’s his No. 1 choice,’’ Kaplan said. “It was incredibly important to him when he signed his extension and moved his family that he stay in Portland. I think by now he understands it’s a business, but that’s where he wants to be.’’
Camby has been out for a month after knee surgery, but he is back practicing with the team and is expected to return the break. Camby is scheduled to make $9.2 million next year.
While there may be interest the Blazers have no real depth at center so it’s unlikely they make a move. But now if somebody steps up with an offer they like, the Blazers have another issue to consider.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 10
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 22
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 56
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 48
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65