Feb 20, 2011, 6:44 PM EDT
Because the basketball fates have made them their whipping boy, the Portland Trailblazers are considering wholesale team changes.
At the same time, virtually every team could use a big, shot blocking center in the paint who can also grab some boards and knock down the midrange.
So there is interest out there in the Blazers’ Marcus Camby.
But not from Camby himself. Jason Quick at the Oregonian reports if he gets dealt, Camby will consider just walking away.
“Marcus has made plenty of money in his career, and at this stage would not be keen to move to a rebuilding situation,’’ the source said. “If he is traded, he would likely contemplate retirement.’’
Camby’s agent, Rick Kaplan, on Friday said that line of thinking is consistent with what his client has told him.
“He really wants to stay in Portland, it’s his No. 1 choice,’’ Kaplan said. “It was incredibly important to him when he signed his extension and moved his family that he stay in Portland. I think by now he understands it’s a business, but that’s where he wants to be.’’
Camby has been out for a month after knee surgery, but he is back practicing with the team and is expected to return the break. Camby is scheduled to make $9.2 million next year.
While there may be interest the Blazers have no real depth at center so it’s unlikely they make a move. But now if somebody steps up with an offer they like, the Blazers have another issue to consider.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 0
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 14
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful