Feb 20, 2011, 2:24 PM EST
The specter of a return of Thomas — just after the team spent two years climbing out of a hole Thomas dug for the organization — was enough to push the Knicks to release a rare joint statement to the media from owner James Dolan, President Donnie Walsh and coach Mike D’Antoni:
“We want to make it abundantly clear that we have been in constant communication throughout this process and the three of us are in complete agreement with everything that we are currently working on. Together, we will do what is best for the long-term success of the franchise. In addition, we want to make it clear that no one from outside our organization has been involved in this process in any way. We will have no further comment at this time.”
That is a clear reference to Isiah Thomas.
And nobody believes this.
In part because when asked by ESPNNewYork Saturday night Thomas did not deny his involvement. Then there is the fact Dolan tried desperately to hire Thomas over the summer and would have if the league had not killed the idea. Or there’s the fact that everyone around the organization says Thomas is involved. Or the phrasing “not involved in the process” is semantics (he could consult with Dolan but not talk to the Nuggets, therefore technically not be part of the actual process, for example).
This entire thing has been bizarre. But a return of Isiah to the organization in any capacity has to freak out Knicks fans.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 14
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2