Feb 19, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:39 pm: Matt Steinmetz at CSN Bay Area has filled in some of the details about a potential New Jersey/Golden State trade (if it does happen).
My understanding is that nothing is imminent, and if anything were to happen it would probably occur much closer to Thursday, Feb. 24, the NBA’s trading deadline.
He adds that if this deal does go down it is very possible the Warriors would buy out Murphy, which would free him up to sign with a contender.
10:23 am: Troy Murphy’s immediate future is up to the whims of Carmelo Anthony’s decision — Murphy and his large expiring contract are at the heart of New Jersey’s offer for ‘Melo. If Anthony agrees to go play for the Nets, Murphy is bound for Denver. If not, he’ll remain in Newark.
But either way, he’ll likely end up in the Bay Area, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
A Warriors source told The Chronicle that a deal for Troy Murphy had been completed with Denver, contingent on Murphy being dealt to the Nuggets in a multiplayer, multipick deal with New Jersey…
But, once he escaped league meetings, Warriors general manager Larry Riley said the Murphy deal would go through New Jersey if it were to happen. He said the Warriors are part of talks with New Jersey, among a number of other teams, on deals that would exchange the Warriors’ expiring contracts for a player of substance inside or for future draft picks.
The Warriors have three expiring contracts that could be of interest, those of Dan Gadzuric, Vladimir Radmanovic and Brandan Wright.
Golden State would want to sign Murphy to a new deal in the off-season. One for a fraction of the $12 million he is set to make this season, but the Warriors still see value in him as a player, as a classic stretch four.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17