Feb 19, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT
For all the world cares, there are two guys in the Three-Point Shooting Contest, part of the Saturday night fun in Los Angeles for All-Star Weekend.
There’s Ray Allen, who has hit more three pointers than anyone in NBA history. Then there is Paul Pierce, the defending Three-Point Contest champion. They play for the high-profile Boston Celtics. Both have hit big shots on the biggest stages. They are friends.
And, of course, Pierce is already talking smack, as Allen relayed to Jessica Camerato of CSN New England.
“Paul has been talking all day today, all day yesterday. He was out there when I was shooting — he brought the rack out. I told him, ‘I’ve been there, done that,’ ” he said. “I know if you ask Paul, he’ll tell you that when I won, it was 10 years ago and everything’s changed since then. So I’m the dinosaur in the game, I don’t stand a chance, I don’t know the formula now since he just won last year.”
Right. Ray Allen doesn’t know how to shoot the three ball in rhythm.
Still, there are other guys that could spoil the Celtics party:
Kevin Durant (Oklahoma City Thunder): He’s the league’s leading scorer and we know he can hit the three, but he is hitting just 33.8 percent from deep on the season and 36.7 percent in his last 10 games. Those are pedestrian numbers. Hate to say it, but he really doesn’t belong here.
Daniel Gibson (Cleveland Cavaliers): In rhythm (like when LeBron James used to throw him kick-out passes) he is one of the better three-ball shooters in the league hitting 44.3 percent from three this season.
Dorell Wright (Golden State Warriors): He has attempted (337) and made (135) more threes than anyone in the NBA this season. That works out to 40.1 percent shooting, incase you are not a human calculator.
Any one of those guys could get hot and win it all, but are you really going to bet against Allen and Pierce? Not if you like your money, you’re not.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million