Feb 18, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
It was so nice of David Stern and the NBA to bring the All-Star Game to the home city of PBT (myself and John Krolik both live here). That way we still have to deal with family and other responsibilities in addition to work. No trip out of town for us. No working vacation. Nope, just our regular responsibilities plus a million new ones. Thanks for that, Mr. Stern.
Still, we will be all over the events and reporting from everything. There will be live blogs and interviews and we’ll do everything but get you invited up to the Playboy Mansion this weekend. Which may not really be the place to be right now anyway.
Here’s a rundown of the weekend events (all times Eastern).
Friday (February 18)
7 p.m. Celebrity Game (ESPN). Have you ever wondered how good Justin Bieber’s crossover is? Of course you have, who hasn’t? Now you can find out in person. There will be former NBA players (Scottie Pippen, Magic Johnson, Bill Walton) trying to set up Bieber, who by my guess is 3’8” tall. Also playing will be Common, because a rapper is a required part of this.
9 p.m. Rookie Challenge (TNT). John Wall lobbing ally-oop passes to Blake Griifin. Normally we don’t recommend watching this game, but Wall to Griffin might be reason to tune in. Amar’e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony will be coaching (and talking about how to exploit free agency).
Saturday (February 19)
8 p.m. We will be live-blogging all of the excitement here at PBT. Well, not just the exciting parts, we’ll do the Shooting Stars, too. Come on by and we’ll ignore that event and talk dunks.
8 p.m. Shooting Stars (TNT). It’s a tough call, but this may be the least watchable of all the All-Star events. If you need to spend 30 minutes of quality time with your family, this is a good time. Teams consisting of an NBA player, a WNBA player and a TNT Analyst shoot shots and get times on it. Your defending champ is Team Texas with Dirk Nowitzki, Roneeka Hodges and Kenny Smith.
8:30 p.m. Skills Challenge (TNT). Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, John Wall, Russell Westbrook will dribble around cones and pass through tubes. Basically, they run drills. This event is sponsored by Taco Bell and it would be appropriate if the Staples Center crowd started chanting “We Want Ta-cos.”
9ish p.m. (after the Skills Challenge ends), Three-Point Contest (TNT). Ray Allen and Paul Pierce take on Kevin Durant and a bunch of guys LeBron James used to or currently set up for threes in this one.
9:15ish p.m. (after the Three-Point Contest) Dunk Contest (TNT). Can Blake Griffin live up to the hype? Does he have jump off the top of the Staples Center scoreboard to meet expectations? Griffin is the favorite but watch out for Toronto’s DeMar DeRozan, he can in second last year and is a Los Angeles guy, too (USC, just up Fig a few blocks from Staples Center). Serge Ibaka and JaVale McGee will be there, too.
Sunday (February 20)
8 p.m., another PBT live blog. So that you have a place to laugh with friends when the Staples Center crowd starts booing LeBron James.
8 p.m., NBA All-Star Game, (TNT). Will Celtics players pass to Heat players? Will Heat players pass to Celtics players? Will Kobe Bryant pass to anyone? Remember to relax and remember that this is an exhibition — nobody is going to play defense or anything close to it. Pau Gasol already started practicing that against the Cavaliers. The big question is who decides to demand the ball and goes all out to win MVP. I’ll call my Derrick Rose shot now.
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 1
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 18
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 43
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault