Feb 18, 2011, 3:43 PM EST
Jon Scheyer was never a surefire NBA player to begin with, a point made crystal clear when he went undrafted last summer. That said, Scheyer still seemed like an interesting prospect, even if he’s fairly limited in terms of athleticism. As a tall combo guard who can initiate offense and his outside shots consistently, Scheyer has definite offensive utility. The only question is if that utility can outweigh the other limitations in his game, particularly those on the defensive end.
The Miami Heat were interested enough to include Scheyer on their Vegas Summer League team, but only had a brief look; Scheyer sustained an injury to his right eye just two games into Miami’s Summer League schedule, and was forced to leave the team. Then the Los Angeles Clippers brought in Scheyer for training camp, but apparently saw no reason to offer him a contract.
After some time away from the NBA scene, Scheyer will try to earn a spot in the L through different means. According to a release from the team, Scheyer has been acquired by the Houston Rockets affiliated Rio Grande Valley Vipers. The Vipers — who have had Mustafa Shakur and Ish Smith run the point for them this season, among others — are in need of some guard depth, and Scheyer’s ability to play either guard position will no doubt help to supplement the RGV backcourt.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 6
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)