Feb 18, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
Jon Scheyer was never a surefire NBA player to begin with, a point made crystal clear when he went undrafted last summer. That said, Scheyer still seemed like an interesting prospect, even if he’s fairly limited in terms of athleticism. As a tall combo guard who can initiate offense and his outside shots consistently, Scheyer has definite offensive utility. The only question is if that utility can outweigh the other limitations in his game, particularly those on the defensive end.
The Miami Heat were interested enough to include Scheyer on their Vegas Summer League team, but only had a brief look; Scheyer sustained an injury to his right eye just two games into Miami’s Summer League schedule, and was forced to leave the team. Then the Los Angeles Clippers brought in Scheyer for training camp, but apparently saw no reason to offer him a contract.
After some time away from the NBA scene, Scheyer will try to earn a spot in the L through different means. According to a release from the team, Scheyer has been acquired by the Houston Rockets affiliated Rio Grande Valley Vipers. The Vipers — who have had Mustafa Shakur and Ish Smith run the point for them this season, among others — are in need of some guard depth, and Scheyer’s ability to play either guard position will no doubt help to supplement the RGV backcourt.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31